Sign in to follow this  

EBC oversize front brake kit.

Just installed it and was alarmed at the metal to metal grinding sound that was coming from the caliper area. Seemed to work fine but the sound was almost like fingernails on the chalkbord!!!!!! Well, I turned to Thumpertalk and did a search. I found "EBC oversized rotor fit?" "TimFurryBalls" and "Jfletcher" solved my problem (thanks guys!!) The upeer brake pad shim on top of the pad rubs and needs to be filed down to clear the larger rotor. EBC included very limited instructions and had no mention of this. The part spins silently now and seems to be of good quality. I am relatively new here and my point is that this board is a great resource!!! :cry:

i went to my dealer and was told they don't have it yet. what are you using? is it the 2004 kit? TIA

2004 kit. My Dealer parts guys is great. He called another oversize brake manufacturer maker who already had the 2005 bike specs and said the kits will be the same. EBC didn't even know yet if the parts were different or not. It was a snap to install. :cry:

great, thanks a lot. i'm calling my dealer tomorrow to order the kit.

Yep, it's quite an alarming and irritating sound after you spend the time to install the mounting bracket! The instructions are pretty vague. I see it as just another one of the cool things I've "discovered" while tinkering. :cry:

Does this mean that the 04 bracket fits the 05 CRF? I was wondering if my 04 Braking would fit the new bike.

I learned that an '02-03 EBC bracket didn't fit the '05 so I got an '04 bracket and installed it. The disc was not in the center of the bracket so I machined off .040" and now it's perfect. I also had the same issue as above with respect to the SS plate tab. The function of the tab is to hold your pads apart when you remove your wheel; easing the re-assembly of your wheel.

So, I'm interested in hearing that an 'o4 bracket bolted right onto an '05 and works without touching. Check to see if your disc is in the center of the bracket cut-out????? As long as there is side clearance and the caliper can float/move sideways enough, there isn't an issue but I'm a perfectionist (sometimes)! :cry:

I just went and looked at it again. The disc is centered in the aluminum relocation bracket cutout if you look at it from the top down. The brake pads are also perfectly lined up with the disc. When I installed it, I left the caliper mounting bolts finger-tight until I was able to spin the wheel and apply the front brake several times. This allows the caliper to seat and align itself. Then I tighten em'up. The caliper hanger has "H-04" stamped on it and the EBC box the kit came in is part number #6437. Hope this helps. As for Braking, I would imagine their kit is also the same for 05'. :cry:

But for 05 Honda put the front wheel 2 mm closer to the forks. Shouldn't this cause a problem with the disk and the braket?

THOR450,

The front caliper floats on the two pins so tightening the two mounting bolts doesn't have anything to do with the positioning of the caliper UNLESS the mount isn't centered about the disc which could force the caliper to be near/at the end of its travel (sideways). So I see two potential problems: 1. Bracket hits the disc (not centered (mine wasn't)) 2. Caliper cannot float because its at the end of its travel this could cause uneven brake pad wear or poor feel at the lever. Comments?? :cry:

Hi MED!

A picture tells a thousand words....Maybe we do have different brackets. Attached are photos of mine. I looked at it and maybe I'm not seeing where to adjust it. Does my bracket look the same as the one you had to grind? Let me know and thanks for the heads up. :cry: [image]DSC00644.jpg[/image] [image]DSC00639.jpg[/image] [image]DSC00642.jpg[/image] [image]DSC00638.jpg[/image]

Wow, nice pics. Let me go look at mine and see if some pics are possible :cry: