Sign in to follow this  

road tyre pressure

Hi All!

Been lurking here for a few weeks and I thought I'd better finally register and be a part of it all! Great to read so many threads from riders all over the globe.

I got an XR400 a few months ago with road rego, (standard here in Oz), and was wondering what tyre pressure other people run when out on the tar? Have been commuting to and from work each day as well as plenty of off-roading on weekends, just curious...

Thanks in advance,

stinky :cry:

How's it goen Stinky! :cry:

Its Great to hear from another Aussie! :cry: from Western Australia.

Yes I also ride my XR4 on the road ALOT, commuting from work and back each day!

I just run my tyres at 40psi at the front, and 36psi at the back.

I also run the most street orientated tyres to fit it as well. Because of the high km's on road. I use Pirelli Scorpion S/T. They are full on street tyres.

Do you have knoblys on you XR? If so, you'll soon find that your front tyre wont last long at all braking hard on the bitumen, It quickly tears the back edge off all the knobs, and then there stuffed! My old knoblys only lasted just over a thousand kays, because of that reason.

My Pirelli's are great! you wont beleive it but, my front scorpion tyre has lasted for 19 thousand kays!! My 2003 XR4 has done 20,000 kays and ive only changed the front tyre once!! Its just about due to be changed now.

But ive changed the back tyre heaps of times, because of the obvious reasons.

Another Aussie commuter - I thought I was the only one.

It seems a shame to limit the XR400 to off road only.

I run 15psi front and rear as per owners manual on the OEM TR8 knobbies. No problems as long as you remember that they are knobbies. I have done 6000km - the front is 40% worn and the rear is 90% worn.

Cheers

PfM

20 psi F&R should be plenty stable on the road and keep your tires reasonably cool. If you ride long and fast on the road check tire temperature by hand.