Sign in to follow this  

Can any one tell me about the fuel you buy at the airport high comp ra

Hi, I have a high compression snowmobile ( my friend wants to know if he can run it in his drag bike also) that needs around 112 to 116 race fuel, I have a airport that sell av gas or ab gas I forgot what the pump said, I was wondering if I could run this in the sled safley, I know people that do run. Thanks a lot

i don't know first hand, but i've heard that high compression engines do not like AvGas. both my bikes sport pretty low comression and AvGas worked/works very well in them.

i don't think it will hurt anything, but it may not run very well. if i were you, i'd buy a couple gallons and give it a whirl. if it works, great. if it doesn't, drain it and use it in your chainsaw.

jeremiah

I would not recommend running AV gas, although AV gas has a very high octane rating it is also a very slow burning fuel, it is designed to run in low compression engines at a constant rpm, the reason for the higher octane is the altitude. Running AV gas in a engine will result in a very slow burn or flame front, power will be low, and overheating will often result from the delayed ignition

As a better alternative you should use toluene as an octane booster. Toluene is a pure aromatic hydrocarbon that is used by oil companies to raise octane levels in automotive fuels, it is also used extensivly in octane boosters and high performance cars, like the 1500HP 1.5 liter turbo Honda F1 engines.

Toluene will also not damage any emmision control or computer device and it is dirt cheap and available at your local paint supply store. Here is a link to a FAQ regarding Toluene as an octane booster.

http://performanceolds307.tripod.com/id9.html