Sign in to follow this  

Ride Report,, Thumper Racing YZ280f w/ WR gearing DS Toy

I just test rode my 2002 YZ with its new tricked out engine from Thumper Racing. The top end was rebuilt with the 80 mm piston (making it a 280) and a full Kibblewhite valve/spring set. The bottom end was cleaned up with the installation of a WR gear set, the latest version of Rekluse clutch , all topped it off with an eline stator to run the Dual Sport kit with a 150 watts of power! He did all of this for a very reasonable price.

I wanted the top speed for the fast 2x and pavement sections so I pretty well had to go with the WR gearing. That made the 280 was a must do. I installed the 185 main jet as recommended by Thumper and the thing started on the 2 kick.

The verdict: It rips! The increased bore/power really pulls through the wider ratio gearing. It purrs at 65 mph and the lower first gear in combination with the Rekluse clutch makes the really nasty trials-like trails we do a breeze!

I am really happy with this setup!! Thumper Racing is a A1 class act!

RH

WR,

I haven't decided which bike I am going to ride in the LAB2V. Ususally it is a big long cruise so the performance advantages of the YZ aren'r really necessary. The XR4 is like a Buick Riviera. It is big, powerful and very comfortable to ride. It also hasn't gone through a set of valves in a very short time....(like the YZ) Even with the new Kibblewhite valves, I am still not confident that it will have the "gas it and ride it" quality of the XR... I am hoping that the new valve set greatly reduces the maintainence time on the YZ.

I really like both machines, but their strong points are very different. The YZ is pure wow, and the XR is a solid performer coupled with comfort and reliability. Gee, The YZ sounds like a good mistress while the XR sounds more like wife material..??? So, I am still not sure which one I'll ride! :cry:

RH

(BTW, My 17 year old son will be on the KTM.)

If it's faster, and you let that son "Q" of yours ride it, he'll finish the whole 500 miles on day 1! :cry:

Glad it works great for ya. I am still thinking about last weekend's ride! :cry:

Gee, The YZ sounds like a good mistress while the XR sounds more like wife material..??? So, I am still sure which one I'll ride!

That is well said, even I can understand it :cry:

Keep toying with the idea of coming down to ride with you folks this year, getting a new bike and will be chomping at the bit to ride it, and LA-B-V would be perfect for a break in!

To much to do and so little time :cry:

Besides I'm worried about Keithco and Corey......afraid of Cheese whiz and PWH dolls. :cry:

Sorry to burst your hope dream bubble, but those are only bench-racing comments. There's no way I'd get my Pee Wee Herman Doll out for a ride like that! :cry: :cry: On the other hand, the Cheese and Cracker ritual is a sure thing. You gotta keep up with me to sample the food! :cry:

What kinda bike ya'all gettin' WR? (I'm practicing my hillbilly dialect, tuning up my beanjo)

Hi Keith!!

Have narrowed the field down to 2 bikes, either a KTM 450EXC or a WR450. Right now I'm favoring the EXC, according to the latest poll, 75% pro, 25 % con :cry:

Did a web search and was unable to find a dirt bike powered by cheese whiz sourced methane. :cry:

Methane Powered Bikes:

The selected "Market Survey Group" did not like the inverted funnel seat required to transport the methane to the bike. They claimed it was uncomfortable and inefficient because of the "losses" every time they stood up, and that it was difficult to sit back down accurately enough to reestablish the fuel flow.

Consumers are getting really picky...

RH

Did a web search and was unable to find a dirt bike powered by cheese whiz sourced methane. :cry:

You want power? Spend a night in my motorhome after Corey feeds a can of cheez whiz to my dog. :cry: