Sign in to follow this  

Rim locks on a DRZ400S??

I noticed the S models dont have rim locks installed?? For those of you that have installed them what brand did you use and what size? Also did you have to drill a hole in the rim for them??

I noticed the S models dont have rim locks installed?? For those of you that have installed them what brand did you use and what size? Also did you have to drill a hole in the rim for them??

The holes are already there, simply remove the rubber plug in the rim.

I used WB locks on mine So far so good, for over a year now

The holes are already there, simply remove the rubber plug in the rim.

I used WB locks on mine So far so good, for over a year now

I've been told to put only on the rear wheel , Do you put on the front also !?

Stay away from the solid rubber ones, they are vary heavy if you want to balance. 2.15 for the rear, not sure about the front.... 1.62?????

I know some guys that put them on the front...but I did not. I stop hard...attempt stoppies..etc. No problems yet.

I do not run them...but I do also do not run low tire pressure.

I roost and wheelie all the time and have never had any ill effects....except that my rear wears out awful fast. :cry:

dont forget some wheel weights to balance the wheel

after adding the rimlocks.. i had more trouble finding

wheel weights than i did the rimlocks!

I had a Dunpop 606 installed and the shop installed a rim lock at the same time. It was just a cheap one. Bike runs fine up to about 80 at which time the large knobbies do get a little loose. I did not install a rim lock on the front.

I had a Dunpop 606 installed and the shop installed a rim lock at the same time. It was just a cheap one. Bike runs fine up to about 80 at which time the large knobbies do get a little loose.

That is after you hit the Nitrous button, right :cry:

I belive you have a tire balance proublem.

I run 15 psi front and rear and do not have rim lock's... So far no prpblem's.(1 year) But also, I'm a pritty melow rider.

I took mine off the front of my E when I went to the dual sport for balance reasons. I don't run under 12lbs and haven't had a problem

I run them on my S. I intend to remove them next tire change though it took alot of weight to balance it out. I don't run one in the front. Also bear in mind if your tire goes flat you can ride it out with a rim lock you can't if you don't. Means alot 30 miles in the bush.

Well i wasn't going to run them.Until last night i was doing my first spoke "adjustment" and noticed the rear schrader valve cocked.I had 15 psi in the tires(new Bridgestone 402's),but i was hammering it pretty hard Friday off-road. :cry:

Was wondering the same thing today. I ripped my valve stem off my rear tube from pulling out too fast in the gravel. i run Kenda 270 tires, tires seem soft rubber, looking for a rim lock for my rear.

I'm running Motion Pro lite locs... still need a good amount of weight to balance the tire/rim lock.  Though you could run two opposed to each other, which would save on required amount of weight.

I'm running Motion Pro lite locs... still need a good amount of weight to balance the tire/rim lock.  Though you could run two opposed to each other, which would save on required amount of weight.

I run two opposite of each other and there is no balancing needed.  Even at 90+mph on the street there is no wobble action going on.  When I was running only one, it was hopping at 45 mph without any balancing weights.  The tire changes are a little trickier with two, thats about the only ill feature of them.  However, I even managed to spin off a valve stem with only one rim lock on right after I got my big bore doing a wheelie on the street. 

that would make flat tube fixes, and tire changes, very "interesting". 

rim locks are needed for <15lb traction. ask anyone that has ripped out a valve stem in the middle of no where, and only carried a patch kit ;-)