Hotcams

I replaced both. Went from S cams to Hotcams In & Out. Lost a bit of bottom end in the process, but the top end screams. Not a worthy mod for full price IMO, but I purchased both cams used for a total of $100. I still have my eye open for a E cam to get my bottom end back. Or I may just up the compression ratio next time I'm in the motor. Mind you the only mods I've done is the fcr carb and airbox, so maybe with an open exhaust the cams would make a bigger difference.

The valve cover gasket is the only one you touch and it's re-useable. All you need is basic tools and some rubber sealant to apply on the plastic semi-circles of the valve gasket.

Very simple procedure revolving around cleanliness. Put motor on TDC, remove cams, put new cams in, measure clerances, reshim [most likely], make sure they're timed right, snug it all back up. ? All you really need is an allen wrench and feeler gauges once you get to the motor.

I replaced both. Went from S cams to Hotcams In & Out. Lost a bit of bottom end in the process, but the top end screams. Not a worthy mod for full price IMO, but I purchased both cams used for a total of $100. I still have my eye open for a E cam to get my bottom end back. Or I may just up the compression ratio next time I'm in the motor. Mind you the only mods I've done is the fcr carb and airbox, so maybe with an open exhaust the cams would make a bigger difference.

in order to use both effectively,you must use the E comp ratio.

Would a person realy need to buy the install kit to install it?

NO NO NO ?, the install kit allows a person to change the cam timing. Unless you a building a full on race bike and have the mechanical knowledge to do it right you can do more harm than good.

I have sets of both the hot cams and stock e cams. I only got one ride on the hot cams when my engine dropped a valve but I can say a couple of things. With the stock E compression ratio, I was having no problems with starting. In tight woods it would take a bit to get used to the power band being higher up.

Intake only and added an "E" base gasket to raise compression to "E" spec. Very worthwhile. The bike has much stronger midrange power than stock.

I suppose an FCR carb and the Hotcam exhaust would seriously help the top end surge, but I ride tight high elevation trails and the motor runs so darn crisp and the power is perfect for them. I am done messing with it. Time to focus on the suspension ?