Sign in to follow this  

inverted forks

here's a dumb question...why (in the interest of looks only,) can't the drz forks be taken out of the clamps and just turned upside down? I haven't really thought about why inverted forks seem to be on every motocross bike, but they are.

Well, you see, I'm a moron. Bored too. Obvious that won't work. I'm out of work for the day due to rain...grrr.

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, No flame intended :cry:

I don't care who y'are, that's funny right there, now! :cry:

Have ya heard the term unsprung weight?

The reason they do it is the less weight you have bouncing up the quicker your spring can put it back down.

Its all about weight and wheel control.

It kinda has more to do with appearance on your DRZ the oil and valving and all the internals would be at the wrong end.

You can always ignore a leaky fork seal on standard forks. It seems to be more of a concern on inverted and you will note they usually have the plastic gaurds to protect the surface from getting scratched.

Your better off the way you are unless your a racer.

There have been posts on this subject so use search and reach into the past. :cry: And yes you can put inverted forks on the DRZ. The front wheel is the same as the RM so RM forks with RM triple clamps will work.

But you have to watch out for tripleclamp offset or you will drastically change the way it handles and steers etc.

Here is the run down from what I have gathered. Mostly from Burned of course. :cry: :cry:

96-98 RM forks = 49mm conventional showa (look the same as DRZ but diff internals)

99-00 RM Forks = 49mm USD showa

01-03 RM Forks = 47mm USD showa

(04 I think just one of the 2 RMs use the 47mm USD.)

DRZ stock offset = 21mm (If I recall)

99-00 RM stock offset = 22.5mm (If I recall)

01-03 RM stock offset = 24mm (If I recall)

So if you want the front to feel the same dont use 24mm offset for sure.

TAG however makes a 21.5mm special RM offset for the 01-03 models.

So the options are 99-00 model 49mm USD forks and live with slightly different 22.5mm offset.

Or 21.5mm offset tag matrix clamps and 01-03 RM 47mm USD forks.

Here are the ones I just got for my SM setup. :cry: :cry:

EBAY!

You need to switch to the Tag triples when switching to the RM forks. It would slow the steering down way to much if you used stock RM clamps. The neck on the RM is at a different angle as well as the offset in the triples. I have the 21.5 TAGs's on my DRZ SM with 02 RM forks.

I put one fork on upside down and the other straight out the side :confused: Looks awesome but seems to screw up the steering a little. :excuseme:

here's a dumb question...why...can't the drz forks be taken out of the clamps and just turned upside down?

I had to read that question about 7 times before I really believed I was reading what I thought I was reading. :confused:

So all I would need to change a 07 drz400e over to USD forks is a 21.5mm offset tag matrix clamp and a set of 99-00 RM forks?

I have a question about the front brake line, when I did my conversion I used a galfer DRZ400 brake line but I never really liked how it looked. Did any of you that did this conversion go with an RM line if so what year or did you use the DRZ400 brake line, does anyone have pics of the line routing?