someone clue l2f in on the feb moonrocks ride

well, compared to freakin' socal, it can be cold. it can be pretty nice there too tho. and there should be big campfires and drunken canadians and so forth to help one keep warm. it's sure as heck warmer than ely cuz it's a couple thousand feet lower. it could easily be in the 60's or 70's. or it could be colder. ?. i know there's a bunch of folks on tt that go.

Let's see, this is like the 4th year for the annual Reno Ride. It started back in 2001 when Firecracker & I were tired of the snow & cold here in EWA. We found some ride threads for Reno and butted in to see what they had down there. Next thing we knew one of the Reno locals was setting up bike storage, maps, dinner, birthday party, etc. and people were coming from all around for the Ladies Valentines Day Reno Spodefest 2001.

So it's been happening at the Moonrocks ORV area out by Sparks, NV since then. This year I think they decided on President's Weekend because VDay is the weekend before.

The Canadian's have made the treck from Canada to Reno for the past 2 or 3 years. They usually create tons of havoc and bring their dirtbike powered blender - 5 gallons of daquiries at a time, hockey sticks, duct tape and a lot of gasoline (they like fire).

Some people (the Canadians a crazy Kiwi and several others) camp at Moonrocks. There is always a good campfire and lots of good company, beer, blender drinks, etc. Most people hotel it - the Peppermill is the hotel of choice usually.

There is bike storage provided by one of the Reno locals, Strick (Dave Strickland) - has a buddy with a warehouse & lot for secure bike & trailer storage.

It is a bit cold but even Gospeedracer (Aimee) who is a socal diehard (but moved to the midwest when she fell in love) survived the Reno Ride and comes back every year.

There is lots of desert riding, whoops, hillclimbs and if Karl and I make it we always find some good gnarly singletrack including great downhill goattrails. One of which was called Horsepoop Hill because I managed to tip over on it and narrowly missed a pile of horsepoop with my face!

Last year a buddy of Strick's took several of us on a little adventure to Hell's Canyon. I was the entertainment as I managed to skeleton race/luge ride with my bike down one particularly steep, icey snowcovered hill. I did redeem myself later though on a nice hillclimb that several of the guys had to double stab at - love the 500 on the uphills, not on the icy downhills.

There is always a group to go ride with for every skill level. Strick and his beautiful wife make sure everyone is taken care of with maps, info, bike storage, etc.

Not sure yet if we will be making it this year. We have kinda double dipped on the vaca days so far but, hey it's a new year soon!

We drive from Spokane, something like 14 hours but it's usually a decent drive depending on the weather.

There is a group of midwesterners that haul a trailer full of bikes for people that fly in. There is also loaner bikes sometimes. Where there is a will there is a way!!! If you are interested in the bike haul or loaners, let me know kpicha, I can hook you up with contact info.

Ahh, man, this sounds great!! Wonder if I can find a car-pool from SD... ?...if I'm even still IN SD by then, I hope to migrate northward and eastward fairly soon! But I'll mark the dates!! ?

hey, ely is north and east of sd! ?

but i don't think we need any lawyers. i'm sure there's already 1 in town.

i plan to camp out at moonrocks in my camptrailer. most of the trails here go away for the winter.

Ahh, man, this sounds great!! Wonder if I can find a car-pool from SD... ?...if I'm even still IN SD by then, I hope to migrate northward and eastward fairly soon! But I'll mark the dates!! ?

hey, ely is north and east of sd! ?

but i don't think we need any lawyers. i'm sure there's already 1 in town.

i plan to camp out at moonrocks in my camptrailer. most of the trails here go away for the winter.

Ely is safe, I was actually thinking Riverside (the county directly north & east of SD) or San Bernardino (the one after that!) ??

But I will be taking another bar in Feb, just not sure if AZ or NV... whichever has greater pass rates, I guess, I'm TIRED of studying! ??