Sign in to follow this  

The power delivery (HIT) difference between 03, 04, 05

First time poster here......I have to say, this forum is amazing as far as all the info it contains!

I have an 03 CRF450 and absolutly love the way the power is delivered....it's just so smooth and never surprises me. Obviously this is one reason why I love this bike so much over a two smoke. Now I would like to upgrade to an 04 or maybe an 05 but I am concerned about the difference in power delivery that some have commented on. It sounds like the power delivery has more of a "hit" like a two smoke does. Is this an accurate way to describe the power delivery of an 04 or 05? Or is the power just as smooth as an 03 but just come on a little quicker and stronger. I just really don't want to give up the buttery smooth power delivery of my 03. Thanks for any input!!

I don't know about the '05, but the '04s pull longer (taller gearing) stock for stock. Other than that, there's no difference IMO in terms of power output.

I agree. I don't like the 04's power. It's too much for me.

I wish I kept my 02. The power was smooth and less intimidating.

I don't know about the '05, but the '04s pull longer (taller gearing) stock for stock. Other than that, there's no difference IMO in terms of power output.

I still own an '03, and my brother just sold his '03 and got an '05 CRF450. It's geared 2 teeth taller in the rear, but the motors seem very similar to me. The '05 seems to rev a little more freely in the upper RPMs (maybe because of the higher gearing), but I honestly wouldn't give a nickel for the difference in the motors. The '05 is definately nothing like a 2 stroke hit, and I can lug and put around in the low RPMs and ride lazy just as easily on the '05 as the '03. The real difference is the thinner midsection feel, and better handling and suspension. Coming up short on jumps and going through whoops is where the '05 really outshines the '03 -- the suspension is noticeably more plush. It also turns a little better than the '03, with less of a push tendancy in corners.

Don't let the magazine reviews make you think this thing has a lightswitch powerband that's going to rip your arms out of the sockets. You can dial in just what you need by taking it easy with your throttle hand.

Haven't seen 05s here yet, but I can say that the 04 has more low end and is a little snappier than the 03, but is still way smoother and easier to ride than a 250 2 stroke. You would not be disappointed with an 04 or 05, I'm sure.

Thanks alot for the feedback! Very informative posts!

It's sounding like the concensus is that the 04 and 05 motors really don't have anymore of a "hit", just seat of your pants faster. Sounds like something I would like. I own a CBR954RR and before I got it people said that it was scary fast and that I might not be happy with it because of too much power.....well, all I can say is that that thing is a blast to drive. The power is awesome...not scary! So I'm guessing I will the like the power of an 04 or 05 CRF. I still remember the first time I got on a CRF....you couldn't wipe the grin off my face for a week! :cry:

If anyone doesn't like the hit of the power delivery on their '04 then I'll trade you ignition boxes with the one from my '02. Just send me a PM if you're interested.

everybodys idea of what is scary fast is different. i was so nervous when i got my 03 that it was going to rip my arms off i almost puked. after a year it just doesnt seem that fast. now i just got an 05 and cant hardly tell a difference just more low end.

I also went from an 03 to an 05 recently. I've noticed a lot of new things (nimbleness, lightness, cornering)....but power delivery wasn't one of them.

I'd better add (if someone hasn't already) that the higher compression in the '04 (versus the '03) adds to the bottom line too.

I agree. I don't like the 04's power. It's too much for me.

I wish I kept my 02. The power was smooth and less intimidating.

I trade you my 03 for your 04 :cry: Hell I'll drive over and pick it up :cry: