Sign in to follow this  

Maxxis IT + Heavy duty tube ???

I just put a heavy duty tube and Maxxis on my rear wheel and when I air it up to seat the tire it looks great...but when I begin to let the air down to a riding level (12-14 PSI) the valve stem practically disappears.

Is anyone running this combination?

Are you using the stock rubber grommet on the valve stem?

Are you using a nut on the valve stem if so how tight?

Please help!

Thanks.

I am running the same combo and I use the nut that is on the valve stem to help hold it in place. You may want to check your tube, is it possible that you pulled the tube one way or the other and thus the alignment of the stem is now off?

I just put on the Maxxis 120/90 with a HD moose tube. I used the nut and grommet, :cry: just tight enough not to squash it.

I use the same combo and only use the gromet. Never had a problem. Try putting the gromet on when the tube is inflated to high presure, then once it is on along with the cap, air it down

I use that tire with a FLY HD tube, and the valve stem doesn't stick out very far either. I had to switch to a nut, the grommet and valve stem cap don't fit.

Let all the air back out, put the nut on the stem all the way and then bounce the wheel on the ground with your hands.

You just need to realign the tube in the tire a little. Throw a little baby powder in the tire too, so the tube can move easily inside the tire. :cry:

I run that combo...I use a nut and cinch it up to a valvestem remover cap...I never tighten the valve stem to the rim...not even snugg it. If you have a bad day and your tire slips(I also run 2 rim locks) there is a chance its gonna rip the valve stem out of the tube... then your SOL...especially in a race!

I also run an HD tube and the rear IT....I use a plastic nut on the valve stem, that way if it DOERS flatten and spin it will just strip the plastic nut and not tear the tube stem...

I absolutely HATE getting flats at the track, I could care less about a little extra weight, I would rather ride all day than spend 20 minutes fixing flats...ugg. :cry:

Thanks for the all the input.

What point is it to put a nut on the valve stem whether you snug it tight or keep it loose?

Sorry for the dumb questions :cry: but my tire/wheel knowledge is very minimal.

Does the wheel come stock with a rubber grommet, nut, and cap on the valve stem.

Thanks

Hondas come stock with a rubber grommet and stem cap. Everything else uses a nut and stem cap.

Thanks for the all the input.

What point is it to put a nut on the valve stem whether you snug it tight or keep it loose?

Sorry for the dumb questions :cry: but my tire/wheel knowledge is very minimal.

Does the wheel come stock with a rubber grommet, nut, and cap on the valve stem.

Thanks

yes, the wheel comes with all the stuff on it. Maybe not the nut...cant remember for sure...

I only run the nut on top of the grommet/seal goodie to hold it in place. If the stem is long enough, I'll use the nut to jam against the valve cap.

make sure your rim lock is good and tight too. Storm makes these trick little aluminum washers that conform to the rim and allow you to get the rim lock good and tight. I cant tell ya how many times the shop guy only puts about 10 ftbls on the stupid rim lock and the tire spins... :cry:

Along those lines...

My tube appears to be slipping when I ride. More on my 650 than my 450, but they both seem to slip after about 4 hours of riding. I deflate and adjust it regularly to get it back in place.

Any suggestions?

Along those lines...

My tube appears to be slipping when I ride. More on my 650 than my 450, but they both seem to slip after about 4 hours of riding. I deflate and adjust it regularly to get it back in place.

Any suggestions?

Is your rim lock tightened down enough or did it perhaps come loose? Sometimes they loosen up a bit until they seat and checking the rim lock every so often is a good idea. Maybe you need two rim locks? Running too low of tire pressure with lots of braking can cause the tire to flex enough so that even a stiff wall tube will creep or slowly walk in the braking direction and the tell tale sign of this of when the valve stem points forward. If your valve stem is pointing backward, then the slip is happening under power. As a last resort, you can also spray some 3M adhesive into the tire / wheel opening just before you put it back together, but that's not a solution for everyone.