Sign in to follow this  

CR250X VALVE SHIMS HELP FIND HONDA DEALER WITH SHIMS IN STOCK

WHATS THE DEAL WITH HONDA DEALERS NOT STOCKING SHIMS FOR THESE HIGH MAINTENENCE CRF250X VALVES? EVERY 700 MILES I HAVE TO WAIT 10 DAYS FOR SHIMS TO COME IN.DOES ANYONE KNOW A AFTERMAKET SOURCE? OR A HONDA DEALER WITH A GOOD SUPPLY?

find a servive shop that can order from hot cams and get a kit for around $70 i have sold several of them to racers by the time you run to the shop a couple of times you have burnt up $70 worth of your time any way .

Go to a machine shop and have the shims ground down to spec

or grind them yourself if your careful and feeling lucky

Go out and get a knife sharpening stone and a micromitor, take your finger and file them down to the thickness you need, it take about 3to5 mins per shim to get the exact thickness, I do it all the time, a whole lot cheaper and faster then going to the dealer :cry:

Go to a Yamaha dealer and use YZF shims, they are the same...

Heckler is right....any of the Japanese bikes have the same shims. Call around to shops in your area....you may have to ask for service dept. Many shops do a shim exchange where you bring in your old and for a few bucks get new ones.

CALL HONDA PARTS: 1-800-279-RIDE (7433) THEY HAVE SHIMS, GREAT DISCOUNT DEALS ON ALL HONDA PARTS AND OTHER ITEMS. (NO TAX ON OUT OF STATE SALES)

ASK FOR TROY!!!

tb

find a servive shop that can order from hot cams and get a kit for around $70 i have sold several of them to racers by the time you run to the shop a couple of times you have burnt up $70 worth of your time any way .

Anyone got a link/address for Hot Cams...? Thanks! - rb

You can go to almost any dealer that carries Parts Unlimited and ask about 7.50mm shims. Five bucks each in any thickness. They can usually get them in a day or two (I keep them in stock).

If you are only trying to remove .001"-.003", you can tape a piece of 600 grit wet/dry sandpaper to a piece of glass, spray some WD-40 on the paper, and make figure eights to "grind" them down. It's kinda ghetto but will get you by.

I must be ghetto, but I have my shim in about 3 to 6 mins. each faster then going to the dealer or having to order them :cry:

ds,

I meant no offence and if you saw my shop, you would know I am as ghetto as it gets. After I did a couple of Yamahas though, I used my numb fingers to order an assortment.

No worries JLC, if I had honda dealer close I probably go buy them also, this just seems to be the fastest way for me :cry:

The shim is not new, the old CB engines used the same ones. You Honda shop should have those. I know mine did and they are exactly the same.

This shim set up is old technology.