Sign in to follow this  

do I really need these lame shock boot/covers?

I have a 96 xr400, and it still has the black plastic-accordian-boot-front-shock cover thingys over the front forks. I don't know what you call them, but I think they look kind of dated. Happy to leave them on if they really make that much difference in the protection/cleanliness of the fork but, if not, I think the bike would look much newer/cooler without.

As usual in my life, I am striving to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. Any input appreciated. :cry:

I dont know what looks lamer, shock boots or the bike with the forks apart changing seals. :cry:

You need em.

You need some sort of protection for you fork seals. I took mine off and had to replace my seals after 2 rides. If you're looking to update go to Scott Summers web site, http://www.srcinc.net and order the mud skins with the rubber scrappers that go over the fork seals. I put the combo on my bike and love them....

for a bunch of smart-alecks, you guys definatly know your stuff. appreciate the input. :cry:

You need some sort of protection for you fork seals. I took mine off and had to replace my seals after 2 rides. If you're looking to update go to Scott Summers web site, http://www.srcinc.net and order the mud skins with the rubber scrappers that go over the fork seals. I put the combo on my bike and love them....

This is what I use also.

Yeah, the SCR mud-skins definitely look cooler than the stock accordian-style boots. Supposedly they function better also, since the accordians have holes in them to allow for the intake and exhaust of air (dirty, dusty air) whenever your forks compress and rebound... That dirt collects above the fork seals.

The mudskins fit up tight against the forks, like a 2nd skin, so they don't let in dirty air like the accordians do.

I have sealsavers. They seem to work pretty good so far, and $12 less than the mudskins. They dont go all the way up though, only about 3/4 way.

Can somone please post a pic of their XR with these mudskins or sealsavers? They sound interesting!

So, are they a tight fit around the forks? You know, Skinnier? Not like the baggy stock boots?

Does that look a bit strange with the skinnier forks with tight covers? Or not? Mabey it looks good, I might have to get some if i could see a pic please?

Dump the rubber boots and replace them with the neoprene covers. We refer to them as fork condoms. They work very well, sealsavers, src , hebo all make them. Sealsavers offers them in different lengths also. On conventional forks I prefer the full length. A year of racing , no blown seals, no dirt accumalated around dust seal.I rebuild my forks normally every 3-6 mo. I have used the same seals for almost 2 years with no leaks.I recommend them on any fork I rebuild for someone.

And for some friggen reason again, all I get when putting an image IN a post is the [image] tags around it. The pic doesnt show up. Why?!?

Cool, thanks for the pics!, They sound and look Great! I think I'll have to buy some! :cry:

Ill get the Mudskin Fork Seal Savers, XR-400 Fork Guard Kit, and the XR-400R Fork Brace Kit, from SRC.

And XRmike, the photo of your XR4 looks Beautiful! :cry:

Thats an 01 model is it? You've kept it Exelent condition! Lovely! :cry:

I think I'll take a good photo of mine and do the same.

Ill get the Mudskin Fork Seal Savers, XR-400 Fork Guard Kit, and the XR-400R Fork Brace Kit, from SRC.

I just put the mudskins/fork wipers and fork brace on my bike (no fork guards). I like the way it looks -- cleaner and more modern than the stock accordian-style boots.

Also, the steering is more precise with the brace. It's not an earth-shattering improvement or anything, but it's noticeable. It tracks better in bumpy corners. It goes where I point it easier than before. It steers out of ruts better. A little more vibration is transferred through the forks/bars to my hands because of the brace, but it's not a problem.

Thats an 01 model is it? You've kept it Exelent condition!

Actually it's an '00! I need to update that pic, because now it has the skins, brace, and a black Moose saddle on it too...

You can't tell in the pic, but most of the plastic is scratched up pretty bad (front fender and white side-panels especially), but other than that, yeah, it's in pretty good shape. I've had PLENTY of get-offs, but most of them are low-speed, single-track "boinks".

I'm really compulsive about keeping it clean. Most of the year out here it's dry and dusty (vs. muddy), so that makes it easier too. My wife says I take better care of that bike than I do my truck... :cry:

Looking forward to seeing yours, hxr.

I see people talking about fork wipers along with mudskins, where can I find info on the wipers?

That sounds great XRmike, could you also take some close up photos of the mudskins/fork wipers and fork brace too? Like I said, I want to get some, so i'll see what your's look like.

Yes Im also fanatic about keeping my XR4 clean! I douse it is degreaser, and wash it with a hot presure washer, then I ablosutly plaster it in CRC (WD40, water dissparsent, you know?) That dry's after a while, and leaves a film of protectant all over it! which completly stops corossion and rust from forming. And keeps the Bike in new new condition!

My XR4 is the 03 model, but was made late 02, I bought it new in Nov 02. AND I LOVE IT!

Yea so, I'd say mine looks pretty damn close condition to the photo of your's. I'll take a good photo of it tomorow. after I put my new front wave disc on and tyre.

XRmike, I just added 2 photo's of my XR4 to my signiture, so you can check it out, and everyone else!

Also, When you put the mudskins/fork wipers and fork brace on your bike, did you do anything to the internals of the forks?

I was just wondering, when i get those mudskins, while ive got the forks off, if I should change the oil to a thicker oil to stop it compressing so much? or mabey change the spring?

Dunno, did you do anything to yours?

hxr400,

I'll take some pics the next day or two and then post them here... I have a new camera and I need to load the imaging s/w that came with it onto my computer first.

You won't be able to see the wipers because they are hidden by the mudskins. Basically, the skins cover up the wipers, and the fork brace holds both of them in place. I'll explain better when I post the pics...

And yes, since you have to remove your forks to install the brace/skins, that would also be a good time to either (a) change the fluid in your forks, if it's been awhile, or (2) upgrade your springs to a set that are suited to your weight, if needed.

I have a suspension guy here in town that I give my bike to. He serviced my forks (changed oil, checked seals) when he installed the SRC brace.

How much do you weigh, and are your current springs the stock ones?

I would install correct springs first, then mess with your clickers, then mess with your oil levels/weights if still necessary, and then re-valve last if necessary.

After you do the first two, you may find you don't need to do the others. That's how it was for me.

I weigh about 220lbs, and the stock springs were NOT strong enough for my size. I had to upgrade to .46 springs.

Nice bike! Very clean. I like the aftermarket headlight. The wave rotor is pretty trick too. You've got a black plastic (?) panel on the left side that I've never seen on an XR before, right above your swing arm... What's that for? Back sprocket looks smaller than what they throw on the U.S. models too...

You ride mostly street?