Sign in to follow this  

Weird problem on DR 650

Hi all of you,

I'm new on this forum and already have to ask for some help.

My '97 Dr650 is behaving strange lately : when I open the throttke 20%, it behaves like it is not receiving gas/air mix anymore. This occurs stopped or in motion. I took the carb apart and found clean jets... Does the membrane(?) acting on the biggest of the jets get worn after a while ? Anybody knows what its real function is and if it could be the origin of my problem ?

Thanks in advance for any help :cry:

Maniac

You know, I've had that kind of problem when I was racing a smoker...it turned out to be water in the gas...I put an aftermarket filter in the gas line, and never had the problem again.....the water would plug the main, and a person could hardly even see it. I don't know what kind of problem an inline filter would be for a four stroke...but...might be worth buying better gas at least?

Tom

From the info you've given hard to say much...recent prob? just changed elevation? maybe try a lower octane (mine runs best on lowest octane, but I'm at high elev.). Airbox cleaned & lubed? Spark plug...Cleaned out the exhaust/spark arrester? Valve clearance? Decompression lever adjusted...All pretty easy work to do yourself...sorry if you already know all this...what part? maybe go to bike bandit and post a link of the pic of your carb and part #...

Do u face this prob all the time or just once in a few rides? I am having a similar prob too. My tank petcock's membrane is leaking fuel into the vacuum line causing a rich mixture. causing temp lost of power and unable to bring the engine speed up. Blip it alittle and it's solved. will come back and haunt me again every few days. check ur petcock's strainers. could be clogged inside. Mine's a 97 model too. done 90000km on it already.

Welcome.... by membrane are you refering to the rubber boot at the top of the fuel slide?

Change your sparkplugs and check for air leaks around the intake manafold also try it without the air cleaner on it. :cry:

Thanks to all of you !

I showed my jets to a dealer who said they were OK :cry:. So I searched further and found out the needle that is linked to the membrane was eroded by the plastic piece it's touching (some sort of design flaw) :cry:. By replacing the plastic piece and the needle, everything should come back to normal :cry:. Keep you posted. :cry:

Again, thanks

Maniac