Sign in to follow this  

truth on xr200 power?

just wondering, some say this bike sucks others say its a good all around fun bike. i belive most dog it cuz of the chassis. im stuffing one ine a rm125 bike, just looking forward to see what people say on here.

thanks

Yeah I reacon the suspension and brakes are the let down on these bikes but the motor just keeps going. All and all its a tough bike that is really forgiving when it comes to learning. Just my view.

John

i am far from a beginer, 21 years old but was riding since age 5. im just looking for a for fun motor in an older MX chassy. I heard the 84 and 85 motos made more power then then newer xr200's is this so? i will be adding a white bro's pipe i belive if not fmf. the 84 and 85 xr200 engine look so much bigger then the other years. are they the same lenght? i found a few 84's and 85's for a good price.

Honda put out a 4 valve XR200 for a few years, that obviously has more power, but I've heard that the 2 valve configuration actually performs better at low rpms.

Honda put out a 4 valve XR200 for a few years, that obviously has more power, but I've heard that the 2 valve configuration actually performs better at low rpms.

The RFVC (199cc) motor was designed to be run at high RPMs. The traditional 195cc motor (not used in '84/'85) is better in lower RPMs but doesn't rev like the RFVC motor does.

The traditional XR200 motor is a better playbike motor.

how relaible for the 84's and 85's dual carb model vrs the newer xr200. i have a shot at both and 84 and 86.

1984 i get engine non running and carbs, still need eletronics and pipe,

1986 i get totaly redone from a running bike but hes keeping the stator and cover and it need pipe and carb

not shure whats the beter deal, the 1986 is all cleaned up and is 40 miles from me the 84 is far away, but are about the same price.

anyone got extra xr200 parts? i got cash in hand! email me at cowboy125R@yahoo.com if ya do

thanks

aaron

I would say get the 86, I remember reading and have heard that the '84 and '85 DOHC dual carb motors wernt really any faster, made maybe a extra .5 to 1hp over the normal 2 valve model. Also there will probably be more aftermarket support for the '86 model motor as it is the most common and hasnt changed in practically forever.

I would say get the 86, I remember reading and have heard that the '84 and '85 DOHC dual carb motors wernt really any faster, made maybe a extra .5 to 1hp over the normal 2 valve model. Also there will probably be more aftermarket support for the '86 model motor as it is the most common and hasnt changed in practically forever.

The RFVC models were A LOT faster. But with that came heat and reliability issues. If you plonk around with them, they have the potential to melt in front of your very eyes. Mine is a vintage racer and I never shut the throttle off - only fan the clutch. It's almost wide-open all the time. They will actually run cooler this way.

Engine parts availibility is about non-existant. I bought two and three of everything during my last rebuild. Costemtic parts are still very available.

Still, for what you want to do - stay away from the '84/'85 models.

The RFVC models were A LOT faster. But with that came heat and reliability issues. If you plonk around with them, they have the potential to melt in front of your very eyes. Mine is a vintage racer and I never shut the throttle off - only fan the clutch. It's almost wide-open all the time. They will actually run cooler this way.

Engine parts availibility is about non-existant. I bought two and three of everything during my last rebuild. Costemtic parts are still very available.

Still, for what you want to do - stay away from the '84/'85 models.

Thats pretty interesting, learn something new everyday. I had always heard they wernt much faster and were very hard to tune with the dual carbs.

...and were very hard to tune with the dual carbs.

The dual carbs took me some time to get the hang of. The primary carb houses the pilot and main jet. The second carb has only an auxiliary main jet for the high-range. (Both have splash baffles.) The biggest problem is access to the carbs and the fact that they seems to attract dirt. They seem to be more prone to dirt; but it's probably because it's a three hour job to clean them. 😢

IM SINGLE!!!

ok thanks this is what i needed to know, ill go with the single carb model. now i heard the 80-83 and 86-02 engine were damn close to being the same if not the same heads? just trying to get as much info on this motor as i can befor i buy but this is the engine i want to use.

thanks

The regular 200 (single carb) is way way better (not faster, better) because you can get parts all day long from ebay. They only made the 4 valve for 2 years 20 years ago, so finding parts would suck. Plus, since you are going to put it in a 125 frame, the 2 valve with be a 100 times easier. However, as for as a pipe goes, how do you plan on using a aftermarket pipe on a one-off bike? You're going to have to make your pipe.

1986-2002 FMF makes a pipe for this and every other major pipe maker has universals, all dif sizes pipe diameters. pipe is not the prob, im a drafter i can have anything made.

No worries then. Let us see the pics when it's finished.

Here's a pic of a BBR 125 roller for a 200 motor that sold for only $1700.

honda-cr230f-03-bikepics-216619.jpg

Here's a pic of a BBR 125 roller for a 200 motor that sold for only $1700.

socalxr, you had to repost that pic again......just when I stopped kicking myself for not bidding on it. 😢..Karl

guys i got a question, i found a carb, its from a 1993, that would work on a 1986 if im correct right? same bike from 86-02. just gotta find a stator and cover and pipe next.

i got a bike, 1989, guy i got my rm off of for 100 bucks had a buddy with a complete 89 xr200, 100 bucks for that...talk about being lucky! it needs some work it just stop running for the kid. i pick it up sunday, cant wait to mess with it, the rm125 should be done by feb, by spring it will have total redo make over. oh i forgot to say its a 1985, old school mx bike. big frame reason for the conversion.