Sign in to follow this  

front springs

I am about to purchase some .44kg front springs for my 01 KLX. According to the service manual making this change looks easy enough. What weight fork oil do you think is the call? Any other insights on how easy/complicated changing the springs is would be appreciated. I weigh in at about 190 lbs without gear and ride trails and desert mostly.

I have done all the primary engine mods on my KLX and now I am starting on the suspension. The front springs are the first step and I am looking forward to making my KLX even more versatile and enjoyable than it already is.

Congratulations on starting on your suspension upgrades.

Changing springs is pretty straight forward. The only minor complication is getting the fork cap back onto the fork rod. I use an open ended wrench to hold the rod up.

The stock 5W oil is fine. Set the level to 95-105 mm from the top of the tube with the spring out and the fork fully compressed.

Next, I'd suggest that you either install a GoldValve or reshim the shock. I'd bet that the rear end is coming up and kicking you in the butt when you go over a series of whoops. Stock shock spring is good for your weight.

Enjoy it. It will be like a different bike when you're done with the suspension.

Ride on

Brewster