Sign in to follow this  

Starting problems

I have a 2001 xr250 all stock, very good condition, it runs like a champ after its started, but if i lay the bike down, or sometimes stall, its like hell tring to start it, any techniques i dont kno about you guys can help with, thanks

Steve

Go one size larger on your pilot jet. The starting technique that works best for my '03XR250R- pull compression release, kick 3 times quick, find top of stroke with kick starter, release compression release and give it a kick. Almost always will start 1st try. After a get-off, pull compression release, turn throttle wide open, kick 5-10 times, then find top of stroke with kick starter, release compression release and give it a kick. If it doesn't start try normal start procedure noted above. If all else fails, find a hill and push (on bike to start, off bike over cliff if you desire).

I have a 2001 xr250 all stock, very good condition, it runs like a champ after its started, but if i lay the bike down, or sometimes stall, its like hell tring to start it, any techniques i dont kno about you guys can help with, thanks

Steve

This very situation is why there probably won't be a new bike without e-start in the near future. Cranking speed solves most starting problems.

Here's the mostly official drill after a toss off:

1) Turn the gas off. Some may differ on this but I think it helps to get the bowl back to normal.

2) Pull in the decomp lever while holding the kill button AND holding throttle wide open. Kick 6-10 times.

3) Release decomp, let off killswitch, and return throttle to normal (in other words: normal start status). Find TDC and give it your best full followthrough kick (or two) to start.

4) If this doesn't work, hold throttle at full open and kick, paying attention each time to TDC (it can only help).

5) Once it starts, don't forget to turn the fuel back on or you will be in for a surprise in about a .3 mile.

The threat of having to do this may have an effect on your tenacity with regard to getting tossed. :cry:

Not to hijack the thread, but here goes anway :cry:

After my 426 kit, my bike is the same way. Runs awsomely after its started, but before... goddang, it takes forever sometimes. Will adjusting the fuel (air? I always mix them up) screw help? Or do I have to go up a pilot? I havent rejetted before, but the plug looks perfect.

Thanks

2) Pull in the decomp lever while holding the kill button AND holding throttle wide open. Kick 6-10 times.

I've found that if I do not hold the kill button and the bike pops when going through the process of clearing out the cylinder that at the point it pops I can find TDC, let off the decompression lever and attempt to start the bike. I no longer hold the kill button.

These are symptoms of hot running air cooled 4 stroke engines. With estart, the problems basically vanish. Cranking speed compensates for all. It gets those in-out systems cycling. The rest of us have to use thigh.

:cry: