Sign in to follow this  

1970's -The Beginnings of National Motocross in America

In reviewing some of these old negatives it is clear things have changed in 30 years. It did seem a little more simpler back then.

The Honda pits were 2 stretch box trucks instead of a fancy semi.

FactoryHondaPits.jpg

Husky gave their 2 riders smaller box vans each. Howerton brought along a buddy from Texas.

FactoryHuskyPits75.jpg

Meanwhile in the Lackey truck. Lori helps find something.

FactoryHuskyVan75.jpg

On the hillside there are couples and there is room to find good viewing spots.

downthehill.jpg

You could hand the rider a card and he would actually read it while he has a beer.

cardreader.jpg

Then there is the old couple in the pits with the baby.

oldcouple.jpg

Back in this simpler time the official scorers at least knew how to dress.

Officialscorers.jpg

Ah nostalgia. :cry::cry:

Thanks for the cool pics, bro. Got any older ones from when the "Euros" first came over to the US and blew everyone away"

So far I have now scanned about 550 negatives with about 250 more to go. The best ones were from '75 thru '78 when I was a press photographer. I have some instamatics from 2 InterAMA races from '73 and '74 when the Euros won but I have not found the negatives. The quality on these is not nearly as good but they were in color. Actually, the TransAMA races shown here were won by DeCoster but the Americans were starting to come up. When Hannah arrived things turned around quickly. If you strain your eyes on the hillside shot you will notice the rider is DeCoster.

I also have some 35mm color shots from the '87 MXDA at Unadilla somewhere but I have not looked hard for those yet.

I have e-mailed some samples to Cycle News and TransworldMOTOcross just to see what their interest level is in these old shots. No response from either one so far.

Believe me there are some really good ones I have not shared yet.

Awesome pictures, thanks for sharing, and please keep them coming. You know you are spoiling us old farts don't you. :cry:

A beer? Was that between moto's or after? Where's the AMA (No alc. allowed in pits.)

JohnnyO wake up and smell the coffee, we are talking about the '70s here. Even though the Tripes photo was right after the race was over, there were lots of people drinking beer including in the pits. Busch or Bud was one of the sponsors for the St. Louis TransAMA and I remember small bucket fulls of beer being sold. I also remember the "burning leaves" you could smell in certain sections of the track, the parking lot and even in the pits after the race. I am sure it was from the groupies trying to distract our heros. :cry:

At the first big race I attended, an InterAMA in '73, I can recall standing in the Kawasaki pits and everyone, except Weinert and the Japanese, looked like California hippies to me, including the mechanics. Brad Lackey and Grossi had some serious long hair to my midwestern eyes. There was a funny smell all over that track and the first time I recall hearing "Stairway to Heaven" was blaring from speakers in the Husky pits. :cry: