Sign in to follow this  

MCCT? Do I need it?

I understand the Automatic Cam Chain Tensioner that comes on the DRZ was a problem in the "early" years. Is this still the case? Do I need to replace mine (03 DRZ-400S) with an MCCT?

You guys are making my bank account disappear.... :cry: Just ordered the Unabiker rad guards today and my new tires arrived at the house as well...gotta figure out how to hide this stuff from the wife...yeow!

The deal is,, yes,, some of the pre 2003 ACCT's failed causing huge damage....

the 2003 and later ACCT is the forth OEM design.... and as far as we have seen in here, has not fialed on a DRZ,, BUT this design has failed on other motors.. so the potential is there.

The choice is yours...... For peace of mind,,,,, knowing it can not fail,,,I have replaced my 2003 ACCT.. with a Bitech MCCT. Bullet proof is good :cry:

In my opinion the risk isn't worth it, Machinist will sell you one delivered anywhere in the US for $48. It is really cheap peace of mind. You can e-mail him at machinist@bellnet.ca. He rides a drz and is a real stand up guy. When my engine blew up he offered to replace my mcct for my peace of mind. The mcct had nothing to do with my engine failure and may have kept it from being worse than it was. At least I didn't have a cam chain flopping around in there too. I have no doubt that the mcct I had in there is perfectly fine, but it's now a part of my dead engine shrine. Figure if I have a shrine to the drz gods maybe I won't have another failure :cry:

I'll comment reluctantly, causes too many eye rolls. My 03 has the latest CC tensioner, 21,000 + miles. I haven't seen any failures on the 03's , but agree it can happen. Will I eventually go to a manual, probably. It's just the oil leaks and comments setting it up. I'm sure I can do it with success and no leaks, it's just not been a big issue because of the failure rate with the 03 updates on the DRZ, seems not an issue.

However, the bike shops say what usually takes out the dual sports, rarely see them, is the CC tensioner

If or when I do go manual, the floating head type will be the priority.

I'll comment reluctantly, causes too many eye rolls. My 03 has the latest CC tensioner, 21,000 + miles. I haven't seen any failures on the 03's , but agree it can happen. Will I eventually go to a manual, probably. It's just the oil leaks and comments setting it up. I'm sure I can do it with success and no leaks, it's just not been a big issue because of the failure rate with the 03 updates on the DRZ, seems not an issue.

However, the bike shops say what usually takes out the dual sports, rarely see them, is the CC tensioner

If or when I do go manual, the floating head type will be the priority.

Mostly good points...but...............

There is no oil leak issue,,,not sure where you got that from :cry:

Setting the CCT is not rocket science, though some make it out to be.. There is only one poster that had a real issue with setting it up,,,, and only then,,,,,,cuz....he is deaf and can not hear it rattle :cry: (budd, not laughing at your deafness.. So'kay :cry: )

Oh and,, what is a "floating head type"

:cry:

There's been several whove reported leaks, good oring and some goop on the threads seems to have fixed.

The floating head is the APE

I'm also running S cams, so my drive train isn't as stressed, compared to some of the more agressive cams.

I have a 2004 s and I am getting ready to install it as we speak. I think with the auto one (oem) it just has to put more pressure on the chain than is necessary. To me this is not a good thing... :cry: :cry:

The floating head is the APE

what in the world are you talking about? :cry:

I'm also running S cams, so my drive train isn't as stressed, compared to some of the more agressive cams.

your way way way out in left feild with that comment.

(((what in the world are you talking about? )))

That's a very good question, and I'm a little dissapointed after reviewing and thinking for quite a while the tip of the APE had a pivot head, but seems it's no where to be found. So, at this time we'll have to go with Age and Dreams sometimes interact :cry: >G<

hey burned or bronco, I've been contemplating going to the MCCT for awhile now. It's always in the back of my mind about the ACCT failing. Is there any engine noise at low or high speed or anything else that's a tell tale sign of one about to go?

hey burned or bronco, I've been contemplating going to the MCCT for awhile now. It's always in the back of my mind about the ACCT failing. Is there any engine noise at low or high speed or anything else that's a tell tale sign of one about to go?

No, if it goes, the noise you hear will be your motor becoming trash,, and a wshooooooooo sound from your wallet