Sign in to follow this  

No spark on my xr200 motor!

Ok peeps, I need help on this one.....

No spark!

I've checked the spark advancer per the book, it seems to have the correct ohms.

Ive checked the coil, off the bike it seems to be fine on the secodary and primary. Maybe 1 ohm out a spec on the secondary. However when its on the bike I cant get a reading from the primary????

And I get no reading from the stator or lighting coil while its on the bike.

Tonight I will remove the side cover and check the stator.

Electronics is my weak point.

Am I missing anything??

What do you guys think????

Thanks

:cry:

Before you tear into the left side on the engine, an easy way to test the stator for spark is to:

1. pull the spark plug out

2. break out a test light, and clip the alligator clip end to a good ground on the bike

3. hold the pointed end of the test light on the hot wire lead coming out of the stator wire harness

4. hand-kick the bike over and over as fast as you can, while looking to see if there is any faint bit of light in the handle of the test light. It won't last long, but any faint bit of light means the stator is working.

Working with the electricals on a bike is a process of elimination, to see what is bad, and what is working. The idea is to narrow down the bad parts, and hope that the cheapest part to replace is the one that is broken. Of course, it doesn't always work out that way... :cry:

Yeah the electrics is the part where i dont exactly "excell" aswell. But don't give up it always seems to be the first or last thing youve checked and is simple :cry: . I cant really add anymore advice sorry as like i said i aint that smart with electrics.

John

Thanks for the reply's guys!

Well, I thought it was in the stator and it was. The two wires

Coming out of the cover were broken underneath the cloth winding right at the rubber gromet.

I dont knw how I found it, but im glad I did. My voltmeter tells me the is a complete circuit in the coils, so thats a good thing!!!

I'll let you know how it comes out. Its late, Im not doing it tonight!! :cry:

Ok got the wire re-soldered.

We have spark folks!

Will fire it this weekend!!!!!