Sign in to follow this  

STEERING NECK DONE!!!!!!!!!

Allright TT, once again I have done for myself and took on a job that I normally would not have, for that I thank everyone here... :cry:

My steering neck bearings were absolutely DRY. The only grease present was that which I was seeing on the outside of the bottom bearing. How can Suzuki justify not greasing those things, and greasing them good. Seems like a catastrophic failure there could mean big settlement money. :cry:

Anyway, I took the lazy way, which is as follows.

1. Remove bars and drape over headlight assy.(unscrew speedo)

2. Remove top Triple clamp.

3. Remove bearing retainer nut.

4. With caution, jack up the bike under the skidplate, and let the neck fall out.

5. Place a jackstand under the left side of the swingarm, to steady the bike.

6. Pack grease into the bearings. (Took a lot of grease)

7. Start at #6 and work back to #1.

My bearing retainer nut was LOOSE from the factory. :cry: I ran it down hand tight, stuck a screwdriver it a slot and tapped it a couple of times.

I also had a bit of a hard time getting the triple clamp back on, and after a little head scratching, the 1-1/4 socket over the stem, and a couple of light taps with a hammer, I was in business. Total time investment, a little less than an hour. :cry:

My bike now feels like it has power steering :cry: and I feel a lot better knowing there is some grease in there. :lol:

It's been said before...but, EVERY OWNER SHOULD JUST GO ON AND DO IT!!, before you have to buy a lot of parts, or maybe even get hurt.

I guess I'm gunna have to pull mine apart and check them now that everyone has said too. You got me wunderin if mine are "OK"?

Only one way to find out, huh?

One question. Any torque specs I should know about?

Heat? They are bearings,, but not like they are wheel bearings :cry:

I suppose with the oil tank in the frame,, the steering head might get a little warm.. but not that hot..

Any way,, The grease works great in all conditions I've used it in....

Once a season at least,, more often if other work requires removal.

tore mine down today and it looked a little light on grease but not all that bad. I greased her up real good and put her back together. Easy job and now I have the piece of mind that it is ok.

i felt a little knotchyness recently in the head bearings. so yesterday with new bearings in hand i tore it down and found bits and pieces. looked like a granade went off in there. so i put in the new All Balls and am heading down the road.

I did the same thing back in the summer. My bottom bearings were dry and black. I waited too long. That sucked. It's not a hard job though. :cry:

So, if I bring mine home from the dealer, and immediately grease the steering neck and the swingarm bearing (?), then I wouldn't be wasting my time? I will be getting a 2004 S model as soon as I get back from CA.

Not a waste of time, just a way to probably save some dinero later on.

(((So, if I bring mine home from the dealer, and immediately grease the steering neck and the swingarm bearing (?), then I wouldn't be wasting my time? I will be getting a 2004 S model as soon as I get back from CA.)))

Personally, I always have done this with my new bikes, as they are clean and it's easier then. My KLX bottom bearing was dry but no rust, top was better. Swingarm and linkage some okay, some poor. It's kind of a russian roulette kind of thing as to whether there's much of anything of grease wise in there. But be assured what they use doesn't hold up long, and once dry the wear begins and they'll never be good as new if not replaced.

Ps. good tools are a must and the linkage bolt right underneath behind in the center of the frame, was a [@#$%&*!] to get it tight. Had my whole head and body up inside the rear, trying to get the leverage, it's a really tight area.

Ps. good tools are a must and the linkage bolt right underneath behind in the center of the frame, was a [@#$%&*!] to get it tight. Had my whole head and body up inside the rear, trying to get the leverage, it's a really tight area.

Air tools...they make all the difference :cry:

I too have had a problem with the steering head and Iv only had this bike for 10 months now (13500 kms. the bottom bearing was half dry and brown in color the top bearing wasn't a hole lot better. but thanks to this thread I too went a head and re packed the bearings and all is good again

thanks..:)

....Murray :)

If it's any consolation, I pulled the swingarm out of my 2000 Aprilia RSV last year and not only were the bearings poorly greased on the shock linkages but two bearings were missing half their needles! There's nowhere for them to escape from their cages so they must've fallen out before Luigi assembled my bike!

Ian