Sign in to follow this  

How to find out good price for new Buell...?

Ok, so I rode a new Buell Lightning XB12 the other day, and liked it quite a bit. Lot's of fun, but not enough HP to land me in jail. :cry:

Anyway, any suggestions on finding out what a good price to pay would be? MSRP is 10,500, and one dealer quoted me 12K :cry:.

Uh, don't think so pal!

Peter Egan of Cycle World magazine wrote an article about the fictitious $20k dollar Harley. He couldn't believe that dealers were marking the bikes up almost $4-$5k over suggested msrp. He found a dealership in Illinois that sold the bikes for msrp. The dealership was quoted as saying that more unscrupulous dealers gouge the customers in more metropolitan areas because they know your not going to shop around. even if you do get the bike for msrp of $10.5 out the door, after arrainging transport fees and delivery (usually $500.-$1000.) $12k doesnt sound so bad. also, count on the dealer giving you the line of "we'll sell you the bike and take care of you as well.." I've never known a dealer to turn away a service job because you didnt buy the bike from his store. If you have to get one from another state, so be it.

I am actually considering buying a softail from Australia. One of my good dealer contacts there says the going rate for a FXST is around $12 to $14k. My local dealership wont let one go out his door for less than $17! Its only $1200. to ship a bike from Aus. to USA. :cry:

I believe Chick Hancock @ Chicks HD in Albuqueque goes retail only on new bikes. (in case you're interested).

I am actually considering buying a softail from Australia. One of my good dealer contacts there says the going rate for a FXST is around $12 to $14k. My local dealership wont let one go out his door for less than $17! Its only $1200. to ship a bike from Aus. to USA.

Recommended retail for a Softail Standard in Australia is AU$24,250 plus on road costs. Not sure on the conversion rate at the moment? :cry:

last time I spoke with Cassons, I think the conversion from AUD to USD was 2-1, or close to it. That makes the softail $12,125.00. D@mn! go figure. gotta buy an american bike overseas to get a good price! :cry:

Yep, like our Holden Monaro coupe. rebadged as the Pontiac GTO for the US market, you guys get it about $8-10 grand cheaper than we can??? :cry: PM me if you need any help, I work for one of two main HD importers in Australia. :cry:

Oldbones, I'm not to sure who sells for MSRP on that side of the mountains. Over here I believe the Harley dealer sells for MSRP (Schumates 1-509-735-9775)You might want to give them a call or try Cycle nuts and Bolts in Boise Idaho.... I don't have their number, that is where I bought my Harley for MSRP. :cry:

Old,

My impression was that the XB9's were not selling that well. Eastside Harley in Bellevue had one for a while when they first came out, they seemed real interested in moving it. When I went in just to check it out, it had a quarter sized drip of oil under it, right on the show room floor! I was thinking, ok, lets get a grip here. How could they let that thing sit there like that. I'm sure it was a fluke type thing, but still made me wonder about the knuckleheads that were running the sales floor to let that thing sit there like that.

Anyway, not sure how the 12's are doing. Keep us posted on what you find out. I've been interested in these bikes ever since the XB9 was released.

Ed

Thanks for the ideas, boys. Someone made me an offer on one of my other bikes, so I might be heading up to make an offer oh the buell today....

321359.jpg

You gotta admit, this is one bad looking mofo!

Cool! :cry: If you buy it, make sure you spend the extra $$$ for the full 'race kit'. (Muffler etc) It makes a big difference in performance, at least over here, where stock Buells are strangled to pass a ride-by noise test :cry: You'll love it, but watch the front brakes, they are dynamite. If you ever wanted to practice stoppies, here's your bike... :cry:

I hear you about the brakes, they are sweet. In fact, I did my first ever stoppie (albeit a little one) in the parking lot in front of the salesman on my test ride the other day! :cry:

I bumped into a girl that had a XB9 when they first came out. Saw her in downtown Seattle, started chatting it up with her about the bike. The bike was sweet, and she wasn't to hard on the eyes either.

She even invited me to feel her warm swingarm! Ooh la la! I took her up on it, and yes it was warm to the touch. Hee hee hee. :cry:

Ok Bones, keep us posted, would like to know what the 12 is like on the road as the 9 seemed to lack a bit of steam from what I heard. -Ed

The 12 does pretty well. You could probably take one with a 600 class 4 banger, but that's not the point (for me). This bike will handle with ANY of them, and has plenty of torque on tap to be way fun in the twisties. For me, it will be healthy to know that I don't have the motor to race with the japanese bikes, hopefully that way I won't be tempted to. I want to have fun on the street, but need to keep the racing in the dirt, know what I mean?

The 12 does pretty well. You could probably take one with a 600 class 4 banger, but that's not the point (for me). This bike will handle with ANY of them, and has plenty of torque on tap to be way fun in the twisties. For me, it will be healthy to know that I don't have the motor to race with the japanese bikes, hopefully that way I won't be tempted to. I want to have fun on the street, but need to keep the racing in the dirt, know what I mean?

Damn right. Don't let ANYONE talk you out of a Buell if you really want one.

Where, besides a track, are you really gonna race anyway? :cry:

13,000 rpm jappers are a citation waiting to happen.

The Buells low end grunting torque power will be all you need on the street.

They are truly awesome bikes.

Like the other guy said, get the race kit. ECM, exhaust, etc.

Buells are cool. WAY COOL. :cry:

Pickin her up today. Race kit, I agree, is a must have, but a "have to wait" if you know what I mean. :cry:

:thumbsup:Lucky dog.

Too bad you don't live closer, I'd be your best buddy for a spin on it! :cry:

I would think Westminster HD would have Buell test rides.

Can't tell ya from here tho'... I'm 400 miles north of you!

:cry: