Sign in to follow this  

JD, please help, ??'s on jetting my 05.

James, I've got an 05 CRF450 and have a JD Kit with red needle 5th clip, 175 main, Mods- Full Dr. D Exhaust and I also removed the screen on the air filter cage. I have my zip ty fuel screw out about 2 - 2.5 turns out. I still have a moderate to high amount of popping on decceleration. I'm in phoenix AZ, 85 degrees at 1,000 elevation. What do you recommend I do or is this pretty normal. Thanks for the help.

One other thing I noticed is that the stock needle on the 04 was set on the 5th clip position and my 05 stock setting was set at 4th clip position.

The popping on deceleration is unusual with the described setting. Make sure the pipe is sealed at the head. Any leaks can make popping worse and have you trying to over-jet rich to compensate.

The blue marked needle in the 3rd from top position is another choice worth considering in your case too.

James

Thanks for the reply. I'll try to check for exhaust leaks and also try the blue. Thanks!

AZRider, Have you had anyluck? I am having similar problems. The kit I bought said to use the 178mj. I am in Phx also. Please check out my post My Post

While you are at it, can you tell me what you had you 04 jetted at? I have an 04 CRF450R with a full Dr. D pipe and I've got the JD kit on order.

ben

While you are at it, can you tell me what you had you 04 jetted at? I have an 04 CRF450R with a full Dr. D pipe and I've got the JD kit on order.

ben

I ran a 175 mj, red needle 5th clip pos., stock pilot, fuel screw out 2-2.25 turns and runs like a champ.

Well, for my 04 I ended up with a 175MJ, 42PJ, Blue needle in the 5th position, fuel screw 1.5 turns out. It was popping as described by the guy who started this post with the same settings with the Red needle in the 5th position. I even tried a 45PJ with no improvement. The bike seems to run very good, but I suspect that the Blue needle in the 4th clip will be ideal.

ben