Sign in to follow this  

New XR 400

Well after a couple of months of shopping around looking at different bikes I went for the XR 400 today. :cry: I was looking at 250 trail bikes like the DRZ and TTR. I even considered a 2 smoke (KDX). I found a new '03 XR 400 at one of my local dealers for not much more than I would have paid for the smaller bikes so I decided snag it up. I pick it up early next week. The only thing the XR lacked that I was looking for was electric start. I have heard that the XR 250 is a hard starter, what about the 400? I plan on keeping the motor stock and just adding some small stuff like a fender bag and some hand guards. I am psyched.....too bad winter is about to set in. :cry:

Well, it starts fine after you figure out how to hold your tongue. :cry:

(Seriously, it's a bit of a learned skill. Many claim it depends on jetting. I've really found the decomp lever technique helpful when hot. Pull the decomp lever and give it a kick, release decomp, find top dead center, and give it one good crank. Shortcuts to this often result in repeated kicking for me.

Others claim they never use the decomp. :cry:

I've ordered an Edelbrock to address the off-idle bog thing you'll read about and it apparently makes it much easier to start with no fuss. But I'm not getting it for starting.

Not a big deal at all.

congrats :cry: you will be very happy with your purchase, I suggest doing a search on starting procedures for the XR4 in this forum and read up on the gordon mods, never had a problem starting mine stock or modified. except when I dumped it :cry: just clear it out with the decomp. lever get it a little past TDC and let er rip :cry:

I had a few problems starting my derestricted but otherwise stock 2002 model when I first got it. Never had to use the decompression lever yet but it does help to wind up the idle screw a few turns when coldstarting. Find TDC and kick it like you mean it, works for me... :cry:

Well after a couple of months of shopping around looking at different bikes I went for the XR 400 today. :cry:

:cry: Cheers to you! Welcome to the Wonderful World of " RIDE RED'DERS ".

If jetted properly, one kick will get you there.

Cool! Join the Club Mate! :cry:

Its easy to start after you get the hang of it! you'll soon get a knack to it, and no won will be able to start it but you! and you'll be able to do it perfectly!

Once youve got it sussed, you laugh at people TRYING to start it! when they cant, you take over and start it first shot! its funny!

When its cold, to start it, just put the choke on full and give it a couple of kick and it'll go easy, but when its hot, it starts peice a piss!

I have never used the decomp leaver since Ive had it. I find it completly useless! I dont even realy know how to use it!

I Prefer kick start, cause u get a better feel of the engine, and how much compression its got, rather that a mindless button. BECAUSE I LOVE MY XR!

Buy the KLX400 - I did and it's great! Forget all the BS about how it's more manly to kick a bike to life, "make's you feel more one with the machine." Excuse me while I puke. KLX has 10 more hp, is a newer design, is virtually bullet proof, and you don't have to "get the knack" for starting it - just get on & go!

But just my point is, when you know how to start it, It is 'just get on & go!' Because its SO easy to start!

But it's up to the individual on what u prefer, and what ever you prefer is fine.

I am aware of how much power a KLX 400 has, I own a KFX 400 quad. I was looking for a trail bike with good power in stock form, and a bike that can take a fall without crushing a radiator. The XR 400 was exactly what I was looking for. Now if you are talking quads I would take the KFX or Z400 over a 400ex any day. :cry:

When I bought my barely used 02 last November, I got the sucker home and kicked my guts out on it. It got a little better as I got the hang of it, but not much. Back in April, I did the uncork on it. When I went to change the jets, I found a 42 and a 148. I changed over to the 60 / 160 combo, and D--N , the thing starts first kick cold and never more than 2 hot after a get-off. I can't believe I killed myself like that for 5 months. When I ride with non-xr'rs now, they kinda look on in amazement when I prime my baby and 1 kick it and take off. :cry:

I pick it up tomorrow, already got my thumpertalk fender stickers ordered. :cry:

:cry: I love my XR!

Plan on doing the "free" Gordon Mods! :cry: Wake the beast up :cry: and take no prisoners! :cry:

I have a totally stock XR400 and I too was a bit worried about hard starting before I got it. I was very pleasantly surprised by how EASY it is to kick over. On occasion it takes 6 or 7 kicks to get started (when cold...only 1 kick when warm), but they are very quick EASY kicks! Before I got it, I thought that a 400 thumper would take great effort to kick over, but even without the manual compression release engaged it's damned easy. Don't worry about it - just go out and enjoy your new toy :cry:

When I first got my bike it took me forever to try and start it. Didnt have a clue how. When I finally got it started we had to go leave some place. How frustraiting is that? Now its a 2 kick deal if even that. :cry:

Nortexed and Supersly are correct, open up the intake & exhaust & rejet. Newer XRs come jetted lean and can be hard to start for that reason. Gordon mods will make it even leaner, so just rejet for your altitude. Have fun! :cry: :cry:

When mine is cold, I put the choke on, pull in de-compress lever and kick it about 3 times. Let off the de-compress lever and 1 good kick fires it right up. When hot, 1 kick does the trick.

I remember when mine looked that clean. :cry:

Hey congrates... winter is the best time to ride get geared up and get muddy!! have fun.. p.s. i think you can install a elect start, might be costly :cry:

Yea Ive seen ads, for eletric start conversion.

I think they put the starter motor in the empty space directly behind the cylender.

I wonder where they put the battery? :cry: