Sign in to follow this  

Powdercoating the hubs

Who has had what level of success with powdercoating thier hubs?

Pros????

Con????

I had a friend get his hubs PC'd red in feb of 04 and they looked so trick, they held up awesome and still look good today. Minor chips from rocks and stuff but other than that the colour is still the same as was new.

I have already had my 05 rims and hubs powder coated.

No Issues on relacing the rims etc.

I had this also done on my 03 Cr and the finish held up very well.

Shot me a PM and I will shoot you a pic.

Where are you guys getting them powered coated and what are the costs? I can do the whole teardown...so it would just be the hubs. Hey Boomer...you know some place in Ohio to get them done?

Currently my hubs are painted to look red annodized with a high gloss. They are trick looking and have held up well for 2 years. I may have a local guy powder coat my rims, currently they are painted also but get scratches from changing so many tires.

My buddy did the Red Anodizing on them and it looks sweet - I beleive it will hold up a little better than powder coating..

Here's a link to a forum about powder coated rims....not all that much info, but they were photoshopping bikes with different coloured rims so you can see what some colors look like.

web page

Check out the John Deere KX on page 3.

I've seen a powder coated rim be smashed off a rough concrete floor and the rim had a piece of crete stuck to it...and the floor didn't have any powder coating stuck to it

I don't know of anyplace in Ohio - I was thinking that whomever does the powdercoating needs to plug the spoke holes with dowel pins or something - this would stop build-up in the holes - if the holes became a bit smaller due to the coating thickness, then you jam the spokes in, it could chip the coating, then it might just proliferate from there - just a thought - I haven't seen anyone mention this aspect in this thread.

Anodizing - I wonder how bold the RED color could be made - there would be no coating build-up, but I've heard that it's not very durabe - i.e.: gold anodized top forks - not real bold gold looking (probably intentional by Honda / Showa) - but they sure will mark up easily.

.......the search continues........

Thanks to all for the inputs.....wondering if it would just be less expensive/troublesome to buy the excel hubs complete.

Boomer