Sign in to follow this  

CRF100 starting

Got a CRF 100 2004 for my son couple months ago, rode it during the summer and had really no problems with it. It still only has probably 200miles on it and now it won't start for sh$#. Choke on, choke off, full throttle, 1/2 throttle, etc. No luck until after about 100 or so kicks.

In the summer I would have to start it with no choke at all. If I used any choke, 100 kicks, etc...

So I kindof figured it out for 70+ degrees, but cant figure it our for fall, and probably spring. I hate to bring it to my dealer service shop as I think they are a bunch of...... ( I wont say)

Any suggestions???

No I have not searched old threads yet.

Well im gonna say start with a new plug, then pull the crab off and clean it real well with some choke and carb cleaner, (once done i like to install a fuel filter even though there is one in the tank), try it if this doesn't work raise the needle one clips. since it started great in the summer and now that it has gottne cold it sounds like jetting but you would be surprized what cleaning the carb will do, Also runnign good gas of atleast 92 or better from a good station like hess, exon, etc., Also check you air filter and if u haven't taken the bike in for its 20 hour service you will need to set the valves because this can cause hard starting.

Ok, consider it done ( this weekend)

Another question, I know there is a power up kit for CRF 230, is there one for the 100?

what do u mean by a power up kit are u talking about a jet kit if so they are a waste of money u can buy all the jets u need at les then $5 a peice just get the number off ur current jets and if u are running lean the plug is white u can adj. with ur needle pos.first and if u need more which u shouldn't then u can go to ur dealer and get a bigger one. just get the number off the one u have now and tell them u wan the next size bigger, usually i buy a few bigger and a few smaller for both my main and pilot that way i have them b/c they are cheap and it beats running back and forth to the the dealer. if u have any questions feel free to contact me on aim at animaldotcom

The most important piece of the power up kit is the new needle. It has different tapers designed to work in conjunction with uncorking the motor i.e. removing the restrictive air snorkel & exhaust baffel. I don't think there is an alternate needle available for the 100's but removing the snorkle and replacing the OEM air filter with a UNI really helps the free up the motor. Once you make those changes start dialing out each circuit of the jetting. Start out with a clean filter and plug make small changes and when you get it right document the conditions i.e. Temp & Altitude. That way you have a baseline to work from when things change. Good Luck! :cry:

Thanks moneyshot.

When "dialing in", how do you know when you've got it right?

Do you test up and down the street at 0-100 % throttle ???