paddle tires

Its been years since I have ridden Glamis,

that was on a 2 stroke.Im heading back there

in a couple of weeks and wondering what some

of you sand riders suggest.

02 YZ250F

Thanks

B.

I go to Dumont all the time, I just bought a new paddle tire actually. It's a Cheng-Shin Sand Pro 6-Paddle. It hooks up really well in the deep stuff and handles well while cornering. For a YZ250F it is a GREAT choice, I got it from Chaparral Motorsports.

www.chaparral-racing.com

There are many other options for you to consider though. As you probably know not alot of companies that make big-name MX tires make paddle tires. Funk, AMS, Cheng-Shin and Skat-Track all make excellent paddle tires no matter what you are looking for. Only AMS and Cheng-Shin make 6-Paddles. Skat-Track does as well but they make you supply the tire, they only make the paddles.

The Skat-Track Intimidator is a good one but the smallest size you can get is 8-Paddle, for the 250F they reccomend a 6-Paddle. Its a really good one though, the paddles have a unique v-shape to them and ridges in between for excellent traction while cornering and in a straight line. If you have any questions just PM me. You will find a good selection though on Chaparral's website. Good luck.

I don't know much about paddle tires except the one I have. I have an 8 paddle Cheng-shin on my 250f and I think it works awesome. Can someone tell me what the advantage of a 6 paddle is? Is the main advantage less rotating mass? I would think the 8 paddle would get better traction but correct me if I am wrong please.

Your right, you can run an 8-Paddle tire on a 250F without having to worry about anything happening. There isn't really an advantage to having a 6-Paddle or an 8-Paddle they just reccomend more paddles for bigger bikes. The only thing you want to make sure of is you dont run any more than 8-Paddles on a 250F because the bike doesn't have enough power to use the extra paddles.

The only real advantage of having a tire with more paddles is you get a little more traction. It is noticable, but not by much.

I just got back from my first trip to galmis. I put a cheng shin 8 paddle on mine and it worked great. I did have to put an extra link in the chain to drop my wheel back so it wouldnt rub on the swing arm and mud flap.

How is the 250F in the dunes? I have been wondering about this ever since I got the bike. I think the dunes would be cool to ride but I always thought you would find yourself over-revving it most of the time. Is this not the case?

I didnt have any probs on the dunes. The bike was happier in the higher rpms because of the high risistance that the sand put on it, but it didnt seem to mind. I was acutally amazed at what it could do. I've heard many people way that its underpowered for the sand, but it could go anywhere I wanted to and then some. Just dont try to putt around, you have to keep your speed up or youll fall alot; I learned that one pretty quick.

I did have a problem with the flags. I broke 3 in 1 day, anyone know how to prevent this? I think it was getting caught on the paddle, but I'm not sure.

I have never broken a flag before, but if the paddle is catching the flag rod you might drill a small hole in your rear fender and zip tie it to the flag rod. I'm not sure if that will help. Zip ties are priceless.

WR 250F, GREAT in the dunes, the only thing was the damn quads go too slow, and at night my bike didnt want to rev, dosnt like cold weather too much :cry:

i ran a 8 paddle, and it was the low grade chin shin, but it pulled pretty good, anyways, I CANT WAIT till i can go again! :cry: good luck :cry:

now that i think about it, it probably didnt want to rev, because of the 2 extra paddles and cold weather :cry: