Sign in to follow this  

GPS wiring question

Okay, I just got my RAM mount from cycoactive.com. I also got a Garmin power cable (with bare wires on the other end) from gpsnow.com, so I can hard wire a power supply.

Where is the best place to tap in to a circuit on my '03 S-model DRZ400? I was thinking that the best route would just be to go straight across the battery, with a fuse in line on the positive side.

Any advice? Thanks!

Yes you can do that. Does your GPS take 12 volts direct? You don't need a voltage/converter power supply? You will be happiest with 12 volts that is not turned on and off by the ignition so you don't loose the GPS when you turn the bike off. You can wire direct from the battery or tap into the red wire anywhere between the battery and the key switch. One other place you can get power is the hot side of the starter relay.

:cry: CAREFUL!!! :cry:

If it's an Etrex, you need 3.3-volts and 12-volts will kill the poor

thing...

Garmin GPS 60CS. As a power source, the owner's manual specifies 2AA batteries, 12V adapter cable, or "up to 36VDC external power". So I think I should be able to source power across the battery and supply the GPS directly.

On my UK DRZ-S, I've tapped into the orange wire coming off the ignition key. The red wire is permanently live and the orange wire is switched on when the key is turned on.

Pick any black wire for the negative feed.

Cheers

Ian

Garmin GPS 60CS. As a power source, the owner's manual specifies 2AA batteries, 12V adapter cable, or "up to 36VDC external power". So I think I should be able to source power across the battery and supply the GPS directly.

Well, there you go! :cry:

I have mine wired to the hot side of the key so that it doesn't shut

off after I turn the key off.

You mean a black with a white trace. They are the ground wires. Solid black is an ignition wire to the CDI and is inside a plastic conduit.

Mine is fused straight to the battery with a lamp cord style switch on the blink so I can turn it off if I have to. I hate having it reaquire everytime you turn off the key...Just personal opinion

I forgot to ask the obvious question: what amperage fuse do you use? I would think that 0.5 amps should be good; that would equate to 6 watts at 12VDC. The Garmin manual did not specify power consumption, but I would estimate that the actual power consumption must be 100 or 200 milliwatts?

Any other thoughts?

Yes, Yes, Correct. Keep in mind the fuse is there to protect the wiring not the instrument. The wires (18 or 22 ga) are fine with several amps so a .5 amp fuse will be perfect. That is what I used.

Ok guys while the GPS wiring is a topic, can I ask a question regarding this subject? I want to run a 12v outlet to the battery. Now can't I just use the garmin power cable that plugs right into the 12v outlet without any worries? :cry:

Not sure--the real enemy is vibration. If the connector will stay together securely, and the circuit won't be interrupted by vibration, that should work. It can't hurt to try. But I don't think that 12v adapter has any fuse. I think a fuse is a prudent thing to have in every circuit on your bike. Otherwise, a short would be big problem. Remember, most of us don't have a kick starter and a short on a circuit we wire straight across the battery could strand us out on the trail.

If you read the cycoactive.com web site, they also have some good info on wiring.

The garmin power cord has a fuse built in it already. I may be wrong but wouldn't plugging it into a 12v source on a bike be the same as plugging it into a 12v source in a vehicle?

The garmin power cord has a fuse built in it already. I may be wrong but wouldn't plugging it into a 12v source on a bike be the same as plugging it into a 12v source in a vehicle?

Yes, but as already mentioned vibration is your biggest enemy.

You're better off hard-wiring it in. :cry:

It works but over time as others have said vibration makes it unreliable I opened mine up ran some wires to the circuit board and hardwired these to the bike electrical leaving the plug intact so I kept the pretty red LED *G*

I plan on getting a Etrex legend C. Anyone got any experience with this unit???

Also, I will be hooking into the a 12 v source on the bike, the snowmobile and the car..

Someone in the thread indicated that the 12v cable plug at the GPS unit was not reliable. Is this where the vibration does damage?

Thanks

Also, I will be hooking into the a 12 v source on the bike, the snowmobile and the car..

Someone in the thread indicated that the 12v cable plug at the GPS unit was not reliable. Is this where the vibration does damage?

Thanks

My brother has the Vista C and it's powered through the USB port on

the bottom of the unit. They're slightly shorter and fatter and

because the port is on the bottom of the gps, the RAM mounts for the

original Etrex series won't work with it.

Pretty much figure that anywhere there is a connection that comes

apart, you'll have vibe issues. :cry:

Now can't I just use the garmin power cable that plugs right into the 12v outlet without any worries? :cry:

As the others have said, vibration is the problem. I installed an all-weather lighter socket on my bars. I plug my power cord in directly, then use a piece of duct tape wrapped around to keep it secure. Actually works really well, and the duct tape helps keep dirt and moisture out of the socket.

Did the same on my street bike, so I can move GPS between the 2 bikes. Gives me a power supply for other uses as well. Cell phone, air compressor or whatever.

I was going to change to a 2 prong automotive type plug, just never got around to it.

What I did was open up the cigarette lighter adapter, remove the board, throw away the plastic case. I soldered on a 2 prong auto plug and put it a balloon so it was water tight. The I wired it directly to the battery with a fuse.

I did this after my 12v cigarette lighter adapter got wet and shorted out.