Sign in to follow this  

another 'first bike' thread..

I wanna get my first 'real' bike pretty soon... I know how to ride properly, so I'm not a complete newb, but I'm obviously no pro. I know how to restrain myself, I dont plan on doing anything crazy. I'm 5'9 and 145lbs...

I'll be looking for a used bike (or an earlier model)

I've heard recommendations from ttr125's to the klx300. I've seen brand new '03 klx300s going for 5 grand (canadian) and thats about the max I'd like to spend.

I'd like to stay 4 stroke, but some people have suggested kdx220s as well.

At your size and weight you will not be happy with a TTR125 more than a couple of days. Don't do that. Both the Kawi's are good bikes.

Boro,

Here is the list of bikes that I looked at and by the way I am 5' 9" 180lbs

Honda CRF250X - Buddy has one and it is an great bike, but the valve problems that people talk about on the CRF forum scared me away

Yamaha WR250F - This was my first choice, but wasn't green stickered here in Cali

Honda XR400 - I could actually touch the ground sitting on this bike, but kicking it over was a nightmare.

KTM 300EXC - another green sticker issue, but great bike and I could touch the ground on that one as well.

I ended up getting the KLX after many months of reading this forum and doing research online. I love the bike and it allows me to grow my skills without getting into too much trouble. As my skill progress I can upgrade the KLX to keep up and that is what I really love about this bike.

Good luck with your search. :cry: