Remember When Harley Davidson Had a Factory MX Team?

Tryng to figure out the #76 rider on the Harley Davidson in Chief's last post I came across a couple pictures.

Even thought they don't really help, the only other thing I can wonder is if the #76 is Rex's open bike and #46 is his 250? Or possibly is #76 Marty Tripes and he was hurt the rest of '76 and didn't resurface until the '77 Hangtown?

1976 Factory harley Davidson Pits

Harley_Pits_1976_01.jpg

Rex Staten at the 1976 Hangtown Classic

Rex_Staten_76_HT_HD_01.jpg

Marty Tripes 1977 Hangtown Classic

Marty_Tripes_77_HT_HD_01.jpg

:cry: :cry: :cry:

Ahh, the joys of disk brakes and 6 inches of travel.

My XR is a MXing machine compared to those.

Look at the handlebars on those suckers :cry:

I had stacks of cycle news from the early '70's. They're gone and so are the memories. I don't remember Harley ever having that serious an effort.

Ahh, the joys of disk brakes and 6 inches of travel.

My XR is a MXing machine compared to those.

Look at the handlebars on those suckers :cry:

Actually the bikes in '76 were allready longer travel. Those laid down shocks increased the travel compared to the vertical mounting used before. They had to increase the fork travel to keep it balanced.

By the 80's, there were 14" travel forks, more than the current bikes. And the bikes were lighter than now!

Then they had this brilliant idea from their Polish design team.

75rearforks.jpg:cry:

:cry: :cry: :cry:

That's the best picture of that beast I have ever seen. Never really got a close look at it.

Disc brake in back too! :cry:

I found that picture on the web when I was looking for who the heck #76 was.

:cry: :cry: :cry::lol::cry: :cry:

Who made the bikes? Weren't actually an Italian bike?

Who made the bikes? Weren't actually an Italian bike?

Aermacchi. Italian.

75rearforks.jpg:cry:

HD in Topeka KS has a small unknown harly musuem in the basment,maybe 2 doz. bikes or so.I think that is a pic of one of them.I know they have one there and that pic looks awfully familure.if you are ever crusing through Topeka it is kind of neat they have several almost unknown harlys..

and no I'm not a HD fan but old bikes are cool whatever the make :cry:

..and no I'm not a HD fan but old bikes are cool whatever the make :lol:

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry::lol: :lol:

Thanks, Dad,

That's what I thought. I believe Aermacci also made some funky smaller four strokes for HD back in the70s.

The Harley Sprint was one of those.

The place I found that picture on the web listed it as coming from a Harley shop in Topeka, KS.

Thanks, Dad,

That's what I thought. I believe Aermacci also made some funky smaller four strokes for HD back in the70s.

Thet also got into the scooter thing. But Honda had the reign on that,

so they bowed out, like they should have.

The place I found that picture on the web listed it as coming from a Harley shop in Topeka, KS.

I'll try and make it to the shop and read the sign agian,been a couple years since I stopped there,I think the sign said only 2 made and one was raced and is long gone and the one in pic was never ran....

Harley-Davidson had more success in baja and other desert race's then MX, some of those old bike's are still out there

Harley-Davidson had more success in baja and other desert race's then MX, some of those old bike's are still out there

Old Harley MX bikes are worth good money.

Hey Chief, check this out,,

July 1976 Dirt Bike Magazine has this shot. The call out Rex by name but not the mystery rider. You can see a couple of guy's mess'n with his bike and the mystery rider himself just walking out of the truck with all his gear on and the KRW helmet portrayed in your picture.

So,,

Obviously it is not Rex's second bike and ceraintly not Rex in different gear. There is another article on the "upcoming HD 250 in the Jan. '77 Dirt Bike and still, only mentions Rex, no mention of the other guy.

So who is it? Still don't know. I did send an email to MXA but have heard nothing in return.

Rex_Staten_Pose_01.jpg

:cry: