Chiefan, now you've done it. Anyone here Vintage Race? And...

how much does it cost to get one of those bikes?

Where do you race?

Anyone in Southern California?

depends on the bike and class you want to race.

http://ahrma.org/

I race A friends 73 triumph in ahrma flattrack.They race more MX than flattrack though.We have an event coming up on sept 20th at Aonia Pass in georgia.It's A national motocross event and southeast regional flattrack.Should be A lot of people there.Dick Mann is gonna be there.A chance to meet Dick Mann makes it worth going. :cry:

You can get started racing fairly cheap if you can find A bike made in 1974 or earlier at A good price.They allow some newer ones if they are "like design".2 popular bikes that can be found at A reasonable price are YamahaTT500 and honda XL350.AHRMA.ORG give all the info you need on A national and regional level.

Vintage, who me? I will soon have 2 kids in college and can't afford the upkeep on an old race bike. I do enjoy my 250X though. :cry:

just so happens I have my old Yamaha TT500 short tracker for sale. I used to race it in the early 80's. I've been storing this bike for 20 years. Fresh topend. It's going on ebay in the next couple weeks as a matter of fact.

The upkeep isn't that bad if you choose the bike wisely.

Remember some of those old jap bikes were stone reliable. I have been rding a 73 DT1 250 almost every day for 2 years. I run errands with it. I have yet to put a dime into it.

Try racing that '73 DT1 and see how much money you put in it.

Try racing that '73 DT1 and see how much money you put in it.

Depends on how fast you go. :cry:

It's a disgusting hobby. It bites you hard and forces you to spend ten of thousands of dollars on bikes, parts, travel expenses all over the country, and entries.

And it's way cooler than racing modern bikes. :cry:

Thanks to all! :cry:

Bultaco206, I knew you'd respond. Your bike list gives me an idea of some of the bikes.

burned, thanks for the link.

Thumperslider54, my last bike was an XL-250, bought it because of the cool advertising photo of someone jumping it with sand coming off the wheel and blue sky for a background, and because it was a 4-stroke. It was disappointing. I was no longer riding by the time the TT500 came out. It has its share of fans from what I hear.

OBB you CAN'T get a bike,,,,,,,,,

,,,,,,,, you would have to change your name! :cry:

Just go to one of those AHRMA MX events - lots of race-ready bikes for sale in the pits/parking lot... :cry:

I went to the NW AHRMA event back in August, and I posted some of my pictures here. The racing was top-notch and the close examination of all the vintage iron was even better... :cry: :cry:

While the wife and I were cruising the pits, if I even hesitated near a bike with a 'For Sale' sign, I'd get "that look"... :cry: :cry:

Great pics Fabricator, who is that guy impersonating Pomroy? :cry:

Awesome pictures. There are some really great old bikes at these things. No wonder Bultaco206 is so hooked. Man, I did a double take when I realized that was Jim Pomeroy. :cry: :cry: Now I don't feel so bad about being 48. :cry::cry::cry:

Old fart. :cry:

I took quite a few more pics of 'Bimbo' (as Bully206 likes to call him :cry:) that day. Here's one where it looks like he's thinking "I oughta take that camera and..."

:cry: :cry:

JimP_lol.jpg

29 years of living can be hard on a guy. Or maybe he should have stuck with a THUMPER. :cry::cry:

BimboThumper.jpg

Ever since they closed down carlsbad its like something inside of me has died. I find myself burning black candles, listening to sad gothic music, wearing all black with fishnets and knee high boots. its so sad here inn so cal now...

just jokin but s*&t that was the greatest vintage track ever, imagine being a small child in diapers watching your dad race there and only getting to race there afew times myself it sucks they closed it.

CalVMX moved to cahuila I heard

oh well no more morning slime at carlsbad

miguel #655

I may be young but I sure ain't fast

OBB you CAN'T get a bike,,,,,,,,,

,,,,,,,, you would have to change your name! :cry:

Changing my name is my goal! :cry:

Working on the broke and bikeless part every day.

Actually, going by looks I'm a kid at 46 compared to Ol' Pomeroy! But I bet he's done a lot more living in those years of his.

Actually, going by looks I'm a kid at 46 compared to Ol' Pomeroy! But I bet he's done a lot more living in those years of his.

I had the dubious distinction (unlucky) of pitting next to he and his posse at a Vintage National a few weeks ago. He sure drank a lot of 'living' Saturday night. :cry: