scared to buy 4-stroke

i am thinking about trading in my 03 cr250 next week for a crf250r.all i`ve been doing for the last week is reading the forums for info on 4 strokes mainly the crf250r/250x forum.after reading about valve seets going bad because of the ti valves and dirt getting into the carb and causing the rt valve to go within 8 hours of riding the 05 crf250r im kinda scared here.i rode tccra for the first time this year.i am a pretty slow rider not hard on the bike.should i be worried about buying a 4 stroke. have any thoughts on which is better yz250f or crf250. thanks for any help :cry: :cry: :cry:

No problems on my 02 YZ250F. Ive checked the clearances twice and re-shimmed once. My friend just bought an 05 CRF250 hasnt had any problems yet, but he only has about 4 hours of ride time on it. Yamaha has made there engine alot longer than Honda. Cant go wrong with one.

Go with the yamaha.Blue is tried and true! :cry:

yep go yamaha :cry:

Go with the YZ...

Yup, Yammies have the reliability of a Xr, and more performance than a CRF anyways. :cry: Go Blue

why would you want to downgrade in power? your cr250 makes more ponies then any 250 4-stroke. Get a crf450 :cry: but if u want a 250 4stroke, get the yz :cry:

I never had a problem with my Yamaha 250F. The valves were always in spec, and it never (in the two years I had it) broke anything. Of course, I've never had any problems with my CRF 450 either

Maybe he doesnt know that... 250 2 strokes are equivelent to the 450 4 strokes, and the 125 2 strokes are equivelent to the 250 4 strokes. If you're looking for the same 'ammount' of power as your 250, then you need a 450 (YZ of course :cry: )

if i were buying a little-bitty 4-stroke, i'd get the yamaha because it seems to be alot more reliable and i ride alot. however, a 250 4-stroke is a silly bike for me, since i live at altitude, and ride some open stuff as well as super-tight woods, so i wouldn't look at one.

the only thing that bums me out about the yamahas is they are so freakin' loud. i'll stick with 2-strokes and ktm 4-strokes until one of the japanese companies makes a light, fast, quiet, reliable 4-stroke (or until the drz gets 30lbs lighter).

mw

Russ, if you're use to the power of the cr250 then you'll get bored of the yz250f fairly quick once the "newness" wears off. Like others have said I suggest a 450.

WOOT another TCCRA member! What class do you plan on running in? I can probably think of a good bike for a novice xc racer. The yz450f may be a lil too much for your 2nd season and a lot of the tracks have lots of tight sections through the woods for a bike like this. If you do plan on getting the yz450f get an auto clucth or a flywheel ,or you could just go wr. I sorta wish I would have done that when I bought my bike last year. There are plenty of tracks where I could of used taller gearing than the yz offered but if you ride a lot of mx then the yz is king ! Next season look me up I need more friends at the races. My number is N343.

YZ450F no hesitation, strong reliable bike with plenty of power

why do you want to switch?

you're not scared to buy a 4 stroke, it sounds like you're scared to buy a RED 4 stroke (and rightfully so)

go blue, its the only way to fly :cry:

the reason im wanting to switch is first of all i do not use nearly half the power on the cr250.and that makes it real hard for me to ride due to the 03 cr250 is the first year for case induction and they didnt quite get it right.it has zero low end.i did not know about this happening in this year model until after i bought.i rode a 03 yz250f the other day and it felt like a rocket ship and alot easier and less exausting to me. oh yea i race over 30 ametaure x688.

Being a Honda die-hard and also the fact that I hate Yamaha too, but I have to agree....buy a Yamaha. If reliablity is my #1 concern, the Yamaha has the best record when it comes to this.

Plus, I think Yamaha is a fine bike. For some reason, I just hate the color blue. :cry:

There is a variety of ways to tone down the power with flywheel weights, reeds and exhaust. Dont forget if you are doing gncc style racing the 4 strokes dont get a displacement advantage so you will be competing against 250 2strokes.

If you really like the 4 stroke tho then maybe its the way to go for you :cry:

the reason im wanting to switch is first of all i do not use nearly half the power on the cr250.and that makes it real hard for me to ride due to the 03 cr250 is the first year for case induction and they didnt quite get it right.it has zero low end.i did not know about this happening in this year model until after i bought.i rode a 03 yz250f the other day and it felt like a rocket ship and alot easier and less exausting to me. oh yea i race over 30 ametaure x688.

You would love a 250F. Any of them would be good for you, not just the CRF or YZF. As long as you're decent with maintenance, any of them would be a good bike. As for valve issues I'm convinced that 80% or more of valve problems are caused by over-revving and/or sloppy maintenance. There's no point in nailing the rev limiter on a thumper - the bike is making the same power at 10 000 rpm as it is at 13 000. Grab another gear! Plus, you won't look and sound like a retard.

You would love a 250F. Any of them would be good for you, not just the CRF or YZF. As long as you're decent with maintenance, any of them would be a good bike. As for valve issues I'm convinced that 80% or more of valve problems are caused by over-revving and/or sloppy maintenance. There's no point in nailing the rev limiter on a thumper - the bike is making the same power at 10 000 rpm as it is at 13 000. Grab another gear! Plus, you won't look and sound like a retard.

True don't rev the bikes, but still go blue!! :cry: