im always trying to steer out of rut?

this is my first year to ride cross country.tccra around dallas area.verry amenture rider.when i go go into a corner left or right,we will say left and i get into the rut im always trying to steer right and get out of it which usually makes me lay the bike down on the left side.i cant hardly make myself turn the bars left and ride thru the rut.must be a mental thing because i can turn left. thanks for the help :cry:

stop looking at your tire. After you start the turn look at where you want to exit the turn. The bike will follow you.

Resistance is futile! :cry: Ruts are like the Borg. :cry: Just go with the flow and keep your balace in them. :cry: Traction is usually better at the bottom of the rut anyway! :cry:

Don't keep a death grip on the bars, and roll the throttle on with delicate clutching so your are nearing peak power band and ready to shift at the end of the rut. If you snap the throttle the attitude of the bike will change and cause the front wheel to climb up and out of the rut, leaving the rear wheel in the rut where the good traction is, causing you to get sidways and go down. By looking ahead and choosing your line, and doing your braking before you enter the rut, you can actually make up time by good rut selection when others are fighting the ruts. Don't follow someone into a rut! Take a different one even if it is not the best one--they may go down and you will get hung up on them and loose time and energy, or even break something on you or your bike. Don't forget to get your inside leg up off the peg so it doesn't get pulled off when you lean the bike over. This can transfer your weight back, which causes you to change your attitude and maybe throttle and clutch, and cause the front wheel to climb up. Of course, if the ruts are too deep, you will need to slow way down and sort of walk the bike through them and hope you don't bottom out--or go between them. If you fall into a rut, don't try to steer out. A steering damper really helps with ruts. Practice ruts when you can and make them your friend because you can make up a lot of time and pass a lot of people in them. Also, don't depend on the same rut being in the same place in the same condition the next lap. Ruts change and move constantly. Learn to read them and use them, or aviod them. The rut may not be the best way--there could be a really smooth line right next to the rut, and that line may be the rut on the next lap.

Welcome to the party !... I think the best idea is not to try to go too fast.. In racing the worst place to try to make time on your competitors is in the middle of turns esp if rutted..tires locked in to a groove and the bike leaned over with only one foot on the peg.. IMHO ,, look at racig it like this: if your 3% faster in a than your cpmpetitor it matters where that 3% is.. example 3% of 5 mph (in a bad turn) isnt much... but 3% of a 4th (40 mph) gear straight is a lot..I think the best riders pick where they can make time and where they cant without a getting risky...instead of just taking it to the max all the time.

Rodnety Smith is fanous for letting everyone else make mistakes.. then he wins..

Thats it from samll town.. good luck

The turn speed results in faster straight speeds, because of better drive. You can gas it all you want, but without that extra momentum from the good turn, you won't get past anyone. so that little turn can affect 50-100 feet after it. That's where you lose your time.

Sounds like you are tensing up??. Relax!!, and let the bike flow??, unless the rutts are deap sloppy and muddy, (which they normaly are here). If not get up on the pegs and let the bike float around under you. If your having a problem with a particular section?, then get out and ride it again,& again, till you feel comfortable. :cry:

I am no expert, by any means. And some of these guys have already touched on the subject. Personally, I think most of the time you will go where you are looking. For example, I have roadraced street bikes and that is one of the first things they teach you. They always said "you want to be looking down the track," not right at your front fender.

In Law enforcement pursuit driving, they say "keep your vision high."

In Wakeboarding, they say, "where your eyes go, your head will follow. And where you head goes, your body will follow.

I said all that to say this: When you come up on the ruts, keep your vision high, and look where you want the bike to go. Don't look at the rut, look past the rut.

JMHO,

Huero