Chain knocked a hole in my case

I posted this over in the yz forum...but then I figured Id get more hits here:

I was riding yesterday (with beezer, docstrangelove, drtbkr188, fireftr) and my master link let go. The chain smashed the threaded part of the case where bolt #9 goes (very bottomright of drawing) and cut a lot of metal out of the rounded area where the clutch actuator arm goes down into the case....it didnt go thru to the clutch actuator arm, but the hole for #9 seems to be leaking oil...I say seems because I didnt get a chance to really inspect it. I got home after dark and the bike was covered in mud. Im going to clean it up tonight and find out exactly where the oil is leaking from. Has anybody here ever used epoxy to fix something like this? Its going to get cold here in about 2 months, so I'd be willing to do a temporary fix...and then either get it welded or get a new case. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Mike

site1034.gif

JB Weld works great. I would reccomend that you try that first and if that doesn't fix it you will probably need a new case.

Yea...i'll snap one when I get home. The chain let go right after the big turn (the one that directly across from the fence...where the first bunny hop jump takes you out of the pit). I came flying off that downhill...and when I landed it just popped....I thought I trashed the transmission.....2 rides on that chain!...one of the o rings is missing so its shot. I think I'll try to jb weld or use marine tech epoxy and see if it holds....I have to ride soon! If it works, lets get together next week and kill that track!

JB Weld works great. I would reccomend that you try that first and if that doesn't fix it you will probably need a new case.

Ditto the JB Weld. Used it years ago to fix the same problem on my YZ125. Though it was going to be a temporary solution but it ended up holding throughout the life of the bike.

check out this web site for fixing your cases

www.alumaloy.com i have never used it but a friend of mine at the track has used it and said it works great. suppose to work on both alum & pot metal. I believe their website has a video that shows how it work along with all the specs.

Ditto the JB Weld. Used it years ago to fix the same problem on my YZ125. Though it was going to be a temporary solution but it ended up holding throughout the life of the bike.

please please be right!...if that works i'll be set!

Thanks doc...if the jb weld doesnt work I might ask you to talk to your uncle.

Im worried about any big cast pieces that may have ended up inside the case. Then again Im getting ahead of myself...i have to clean it up and see exactly where the damage is....the bike has about 25 lbs of mud on it right now. I'll post a pic tonight

Yeah as long as it`s not a big hole and just a crack in the case JBweld or some other type of metal filler is what i would go for,arraldite perhaps,but i would try a bonding agent first,just make sure you clean it up real good and if you can try and rough up the case surface as the filler will take better to it,maybe try and clean it with brake cleaner or similar to try and remove any oil in the crack and help the filler take!,welding cast alloys can be a real pain depending on the quality of the casting(but not impossable!)so try the JBweld or similar first,thats normaly a good fix,good luck with that case! :cry: