Thinking about jumping ship from the TT-R250 to WR450...

Hey all, I am new to the forum and new to dirt biking too. I just purchased a new 2004 TT-R250 and I am very disappointed in its performance. Very little throttle repsonse!!! I only have put 25 miles on it and am not happy with it at all. So, I am talking with my dealer about trading in back in on an 05 WR450, but was wondering if that would be over kill? Should I go with the 250 instead? Or is there anything I can do to give the TT-R250 more power? I have had a hard time finding performance parts for the TT-R so that worries me as well. Any thoughts?

Go 2 stroke you might like that

I went from a ttr250 to a KTM 300exc. Never looked back. I still have the TTR for long rides.

I definitely don't want a 2 smoke!

The guy I ride with that has the KTM525 loves it so far, but I think I want to stay Blue... My other bike hasn't let me down yet, so I figure I'll keep it in the family.

Thanks for the input though guys.

yz 250 f

I think the wr450 would be a great choice for you if you are that dissatisfied with the Ttr's performance.

The wr's come all stuffed up stock, but it will still be tons more performance than the TTR had.

Then, when you get accustomed to it, uncork it and do the free mods. You'll be very happy with it.

The wr 250 will stomp the ttr 250, but a wr 450 will walk all over the wr 250. Depending on your style and where you ride I would lean toward the 450. Can you have to much power? You sound like you are in it for the thrill and have an aggresive personality get the 450 and don't look back. the 450 will run with a 525 no problem. 2 strokes suck. I rode a 300 exc and it also was weak. Not much bottom end, fine once it got going but it was rattley and pipey. I just prefer the power delivery of a thumper. Give it some thorttle and it goes.

I have ttr 250 and a wr400. My wife rides the ttr250. She loves the smooth power and the torque. As long as she can hold on to the gas it will go but won't walk out from under her.

The WR450 will NOT walk away from the WR250, not on the east coast and through the woods anyway. I believe they sell a performance kit for the TTR250 from Yamaha.

Thanks for all the comments everyone...

I have pretty much decided on the 450, I rode my friends WR426 this past weekend and definitely notice the power difference. It is a lot more aggressive and I really am looking for something more along those lines. I just feel like the TTR is a little too tame for my taste at this point in time.

Again, thanks for all the input.

The WR450 will NOT walk away from the WR250, not on the east coast and through the woods anyway.

oh yes, yes it will. What does the east coast have to do with anything. You guys think you have a monopoly on tight woods. When you actually encounter something more than a 10 % grade you will notice the 450 will stomp the 250.

Here we go, this guy thinks he knows everything! :cry:

It's the damn rider! I stomp on 450's all the time with my YZF250? Yes the 450 is faster, but why do you need speed if your never going to use it? If your a good, talented rider then get the 450, but if your just a putter, stick with the 250. There's no need to buy the power if your not going to use it.

If your a good, talented rider then get the 450, but if your just a putter, stick with the 250.

So is that why you have the 250? :cry:

Hey buddy, dont worry I can still smoke your ass anyday on your POS WR400 that is way outdated! Time to tell your mommy to get ya a new bike! :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Any time squid.

:worthy:Are you bowing down to me? :cry:

:cry:

I used to do the same on my ttr 225. It isn't that the small bikes can't go fast in the tight stuff, it is just that the bigger bikes have a slightly higher smile factor to me, when you can twist the throttle. I like to accelerate going up hills not just make it up them.

HAHA :cry:

Here we go, this guy thinks he knows everything! :cry:

It's the damn rider! I stomp on 450's all the time with my YZF250? Yes the 450 is faster, but why do you need speed if your never going to use it? If your a good, talented rider then get the 450, but if your just a putter, stick with the 250. There's no need to buy the power if your not going to use it.

I agree 100%. During the Berkshire turkey run I was dragging a KTM 520. I was topped out in third up a long slick uphill. I had to run the BRP insert for the sound check so I was missing some off the top, but I expected to get wailed on by the 520. Thing was his bike was heavier, and he was less confident hitting crap that my "slightly" lighter 250 was floating over. Rider or bike........it's a bit of both.

I ride weekly with 4smoke on his 450, and he's good, but he still can't run and hide. Between the 2 of us it comes down to who's having the better day and not the bikes.