bay area CA wheel builders..besides motostrano

hey all, i'm in the midst of sm'ing my drz and wanted to sm my wifes wee little kawaski super sherpa. now i know it doesn't need it, it's aircooled 250 four stroke will never be too much for a set of gripsters, but she likes sm'ed bikes and i want to suprise her with it since she hasn't been able to ride for almost a year because we just had our first child.

anyway. so here's the deal i want to put 17"s on the bike using the stock hubs. since it defenitely doesn't need talons, nor would i want to bother. the thing i'm worried about is that the rear swingarm is pretty narrow and most motard meats won't fit in there.

so could i do front rims on both the front and back? if so what tires could i run on the back? since the bike is really slow (65mph top) and very gutless is there any front tires i could run, or is that a nasty idea?

i'd like to find a local shop to lace them since i'd need to do it quickly in order to keep it a suprise. motostrano doesn't want to touch it cause it's outside of their crf450/vertemati realm or somthing, i dunno, whatever. ?

anyway, i'd consider recommended shops outside the area as well, but would prefer to keep it local.

cheers

andrew

A good wheel builder will work with you and help you select the right rim(s) for the bike.

I would try to go with the biggest wheel on the rear you can get in there providing the tire fits, and then run a smaller (narrower) wheel/tire combo up front.

That way it will look supermoto, and the bike wont be so heavy up front when she tips it into the corners or have such a heavy feel on the front end.

Dont forget to get her an oversize front rotor and relocator bracket for the caliper, then it will have the total SM look.

Measure the total width between the forks, and the swingarm, then call Jeff at East Coast Wheels, he will get you hooked up with what you need.

A good wheel builder will work with you and help you select the right rim(s) for the bike.

I would try to go with the biggest wheel on the rear you can get in there providing the tire fits, and then run a smaller (narrower) wheel/tire combo up front.

That way it will look supermoto, and the bike wont be so heavy up front when she tips it into the corners or have such a heavy feel on the front end.

Dont forget to get her an oversize front rotor and relocator bracket for the caliper, then it will have the total SM look.

Measure the total width between the forks, and the swingarm, then call Jeff at East Coast Wheels, he will get you hooked up with what you need.

yeah, thanks for the tips. i'm getting my sm rims from east coast, but i wanted a local for these since i plan on using the stock hubs to save cash.

as for rotors, well, let's just say her 12hp bike doesn't really need much help in stopping - plus i doubt there is a large aftermarket for motomaster mounts for a 250 super sherpa ?

motostrano doesn't want to touch it cause it's outside of their crf450/vertemati realm or somthing, i dunno, whatever. ?

just to clarify, since i've seem to have hit a nerve with joe at motostrano with this comment. i made this remark since i went into their shop and they turned down the job of building rims for this sherpa since he thought it was more trouble than it was worth. maybe it is, but i went to a guy that builds motard wheels looking to get some motard wheels built, and it was frustrating to be turned down. had my bike been a crf450 or vertemati he would have surely not turned me away...hence the comment.

i only mentioned them by name because i didn't want forty responses pointing me to them. i am sure he provides quality service for many bikes and racers. i wasn't saying i didn't want to spend my money there, only that i couldn't spend my money there.

it was not my intention to take business away from them, i just wanted to sum up my experience with one smart-ass remark. they offer a lot of nice kit to the supermoto community and it's nice to see shops like his. if you need stuff get it from them, or east coast wheels, or anybody, i don't care, it's your money, spend it however you want.

You make it sound like building a wheel is rocket science...send me the parts...I will build it for $25...true within .010"...takes 15 minutes. Jeesh

rocket science...LOL.

Just trying to help a brother out.

No retribute.

Just give him what he wants.

I wasn't going to make a $$ or break any spam rules in the process.

yeah, thanks for the tips. i'm getting my sm rims from east coast, but i wanted a local for these since i plan on using the stock hubs to save cash.

as for rotors, well, let's just say her 12hp bike doesn't really need much help in stopping - plus i doubt there is a large aftermarket for motomaster mounts for a 250 super sherpa ?

Well one thing you could do to really make them stand out is to get them annodized some interesting colour; annodizing is pretty cheap; you could do the hubs too). it'll at least make your stock hubs pretty sharp looking.

Well one thing you could do to really make them stand out is to get them annodized some interesting colour; annodizing is pretty cheap; you could do the hubs too). it'll at least make your stock hubs pretty sharp looking.

I don't believe anodizing works very well (if at all) on cast parts. The stock hubs are undoubtedly cast.

I don't believe anodizing works very well (if at all) on cast parts. The stock hubs are undoubtedly cast.

well i got mine done black, and they look fine to me. they're black like i wanted. here's a pic:

CRF_inside2.jpg