Works Connection '05 CRF 450 Skid Plates in stock now...

Just a quick note to let everyone know that our Skid Plates for the '05 CRF 450 started shipping out yesterday. They were designed to work with our Engine Guards (available 10/29/04) and also work with the stock guards. We are also getting very close to finishing the Radiator Braces and I will post next week as they become available. More than likely they will be done by 10/28/04. Thanks for your support.

P.S. I forgot to mention in my first post that we also worked with 'BillyWho' so it works with the 'ManFunnel' without having to remove any of the mounting brackets.

10-092.jpg

Bikewriter, It's funny you should ask that. When we first punched out the holes in our CRF 250 Skid Plates there were a few people that asked us the same thing. From all the feedback that we receive it is a pretty overwhelming number of guys who love the additional cooling capabilities from the holes. Do they get mud in there too. Yes they do. The trade-off is that most guys who ride in a lot of mud use the Factory Foam that comes with our Skid Plates. I have even heard of guys taping up the front in extreme cases. For the most part everyone seems to like the additional air flow to the motor, and they also like the look of it better, and oh yeah it's also a little lighter. If you get out your 'gram' scale. What is the general thoughts of this board? We would love to hear it. Our general customer uses their CRFs for moto, but we also know that there are a lot of off road riders using the CRF too. I could also drop a hint that we may have a full-on off-road (hardcore) version coming very soon. (I'm not real good at keeping a secret ? if you have an opinion on the holes let it be know. Post it here or drop me an e-mail. Thanks...Eric

as far as cooling, i dont think it adds enough airflow to make any difference. as for the weight, the weight reduction is minimal.

GO BACK TO MAKING THEM WITHOUT THE HOLES!!! PHUUULLEEEEEZZZ!!!!! ??? :cry: ? :cry:

make the superduty offraod version compatible with the man funnel.

I have the 3/16 wc full version and the man funnel is a no go with it...made me decide that when I retire it I will buy a diff brand that is compatible....also extend the skid ALL the way to the back and dont taper it so hard. Ive got huge dents and gouges in the frame from boulder hopping in races. I like the idea of cradle mount that wrap the frame that way one rock to the bottom center of the skid plate doesnt bend the plate and then make the square bar mounting piece not sit flush on the frame and vibrate...

I can post pics if nec... or you can contract me...im a mechanical engineer and could make the offraoders happy with my designs!

i'm an mxer, i run the skidplate with the holes on my crf250 and i think the holes look cool. if you're riding in mud, you're gonna get mud between the engine and skid plate anyway, holes or not.

i love the way the factory honda glide plates look, sitting between the rails and the holes and all. if they were available to us, i'd buy one for sure. it'd make me happy enough that i wouldn't mind getting rid of the extra mud.

I could also drop a hint that we may have a full-on off-road (hardcore) version coming very soon.

That's what I want. This isn't even a skid plate....it's a glide plate. My buddy has the WC add on engine guards, and they suck. They are way to expensive and come loose easy. Also the add-ons are weaker than a one piece skid plate I feel.

Works Connection needs to make something similar to the Devol skid plate. That I'd buy!

?

I ride off road and practice days on moto and I like the WC plate. Too much metal hanging off the bottom and it takes on a Mad Max personality ? Plus I could see a lot of over hang getting in to your leg on a fall. Oh yeah, I ordered one three or four days ago ?

I'll give my .02...

I have a 04 450 and the WC skid plate with no holes. Personally I run the foam, but only stuffed into the upper part where the skid plate kind of leaves a hole. The foam keeps all mud, dirt, rocks, and mud out. Personally, I would like to see the skid plate actually cover that hole completely, with no need for foam.

The new plate for 05 seems to leave even more area uncovered.

Also, can I recommend that for the rear mounting bolts that you use a counter sunk bolt with an allen head instead of the phillips head.

ben

feetup&sliding is sure to love those...

feetups new bike post

just kidding....

Maybe feetups the designer of the glide plate?

?

Hahaaa!!!! That's it!!!! ? :cry:

HAHA very funny fellas.................maybe no one told Works Connection that their glide plate is going to break in half and probably cause the entire bike to explode when it does...those knuckleheads what where they thinking......you guys should straighten them out. BTW My bike is holding up JUST FINE thank you very much! ?

• 3 weeks later...

make the superduty offraod version compatible with the man funnel.

I have the 3/16 wc full version and the man funnel is a no go with it...made me decide that when I retire it I will buy a diff brand that is compatible....also extend the skid ALL the way to the back and dont taper it so hard. Ive got huge dents and gouges in the frame from boulder hopping in races. I like the idea of cradle mount that wrap the frame that way one rock to the bottom center of the skid plate doesnt bend the plate and then make the square bar mounting piece not sit flush on the frame and vibrate...

I can post pics if nec... or you can contract me...im a mechanical engineer and could make the offraoders happy with my designs!

Mate I'm from Australia and juding by what we see in US mags etc our basj plates abosolutely destroy the US versions. Whipps in particular provide full coverage plates that are awesome.

Looking at the design of the WC you'd have to agree he was on drugs - no frame rail coverage at all and all the endgine is exposed.

By Australian made plates and you'll be right for years.

What you see in the pic above is a skid plate for motocross. It provides added protection while keeping weight to a minumum. I (and probably most MX riders) prefer the skid plate over a heavy full coverage engine guard designed for off-road use. Most companies offer several kinds to suit the various applications a modern day MX bike may encounter. I'm sure less than half of all MX bikes actually end up on the race track.

i put mine on yesterday. i was very disappointed. the fit was poor. i spent quite of time trying to get the left rear clamp on. took off the motor mount bolts first then filed the bracket. in the end, i needed to take out the grinder and grind down the clamp to make it fit between the motor and frame.

the thing looks crappy with the holes. &%$#@!, it doesnt make it any lighter and the aluminum frame IS A HUGE HEATSINK. just looks like a cheap ass way of trying to lighten a bike. the new way of lightening bikes doesnt involve a drill. it involves using exotic metals. WORKS CONNECTION ARE YOU LISTENING?

• 2 months later...

I installed a WC glide plate and had no problem with fit. Did have to grind the plastic engine guard on right side a little to get a nice fit. No problems elsewhere. Definatlet MX specific. Wanted a full skid like the WER with protective loops for the 05 but got tired of waiting. This glide plate will work fine for $60.