Exhaust Selection

I am in the market for a new exhaust system for my '04 WR450. I want a legal sound level as well as a USFS spark arrestor. I'm leaning towards a Pro Circuit 496, but would like to hear opinions and facts, such as which one (if any) delivers the greatest power increase, etc. Also, is a titanium head pipe worth the extra $$ and why...

Ditto! Go with the FMF Power core IV modular end cap system and have options to be quiet or loud screen or no screen. All the pipes make similar power relative to the noise level. ? Get the FMF SS power bomb headers the titaniums heat cycle fatigue and ping or dent very easy.

next time you go riding, check out what the other wr owners are running. most of those guys have probably been through the tests and know what passes and what doesn't. you can't always trust what the manufacturer writes about noise levels.

I have a Q on a 00 400. BARELY passes sounds, but has 4 times now. Also added the SX powerbomb, as that was marketed to help more with noise. Keep the stock header if that is the only reason you would think of changing that too. In CA they can be very strick on sound. The many rangers I have had the pleasure of talking to who hand out those very nice $200+ souveniers if you do not pass sound report that 99% of the Q's pass on the WR and that none of the other aftermarket systems have as good a record. Hope that helps....

I have a Q on a 00 400. BARELY passes sounds, but has 4 times now. Also added the SX powerbomb, as that was marketed to help more with noise. Keep the stock header if that is the only reason you would think of changing that too. In CA they can be very strick on sound. The many rangers I have had the pleasure of talking to who hand out those very nice $200+ souveniers if you do not pass sound report that 99% of the Q's pass on the WR and that none of the other aftermarket systems have as good a record. Hope that helps....

Interesting. Noise is what I was worrying about with the PowerCore - even with the Quiet Insert. FMF only lists sound specs for the 'Q' on their site, which makes me think the PowerCore may be risky. Kinda too bad, because I was liking it. I'm a little afraid that the Q might not have much of a performance gain. The PowerBomb header is supposed to help with performance as well as sound, so they say..

My Powercore IV with quiet core insert and power bomb is as quiet as the Q. It is almost as quiet as the stock pipe with a gytr insert. It is very close to 94 db (IMO) and it is easy to reduce further with a small sheet metal plate in the end cap that you can insert and play with hole size as well. The Power core IV gives you total flexibility! It is the best set up I could find that gave me quick versatility! ?

I'm a little afraid that the Q might not have much of a performance gain

Power gain from what??

You will loose power if your running stock uncorked.

You will gain power if you are running the entire stock system, or any of the inserts I'm aware of.

Unfortunatly in 4 strokes noise = power. From there we need to establish what we are willing to give up in the way of power to meet the requirements or goals or laws.

I agree EnduroDog that is why I recomend a fully adjustable system like the Power core 4 ! I got 4 parts I can add or take away. 1.5" opening, 2" opening, quiet core insert , spark arrestor screen. Not to mention is it easy to add your own customized sheet metal insert to fine tune noise levels to make right at the limit level you want. ?

power bomb/power core IV cant beat it,complete system just over $400 ,fit and finish are top notch also. ? :cry: .....it also weighs 2 lbs less than the Q.also with all the hype over the Q i just changed the sticker on the side of the can and the wardens think its quieter!!! power of suggestion go figure ? :cry:

power bomb/power core IV cant beat it,complete system just over $400 ,fit and finish are top notch also. ? :cry: .....it also weighs 2 lbs less than the Q.also with all the hype over the Q i just changed the sticker on the side of the can(put a Q sticker on) and the wardens think its quieter!!! power of suggestion go figure ? :cry:

I have a PC496 on my '03. It's definately an improvement from the stocker(open) power wise, but not much better in the noise department. And it just gets louder as the packing goes.

I can't say for sure, but you might be able to go the same route with the PC as others here have with the FMF PowerCores. A PC496 for performance(w/ marginally acceptable noise), add an end cap and quiet core insert from a PC T-4, for ultra stealth mode. Again, I'm not sure those parts will fit, but I think they might. You'd have to call PC. I do know the T-4 quiet core won't fit the 496 with the 496 end cap.(I tried with an old T-4 quiet core I have lying around)

If you do go this route, you'll have to change jetting every time you add or remove the quiet core. Personally, thats over the line for me, I'm to lazy for that.

Just some thoughts...Good luck. ?