down sizeing

iam i crazy for down sizing from a 2003 crf 450 to a 2004 crf 250, i ride limited MX iam a vet rider 37 that is, and iam only at a novice level, all these 250 post make me a little nervous???????

Go for it.I am 43 and went from a 450 to the 250 and love it.Had the bike for almost a year with no valve problems or anything else. :cry:

Just went from 02-04 450's down to 250x and love it. No more MX but in the woods it's great, feels like a 125. No arm pump!!!!

iam i crazy for down sizing from a 2003 crf 450 to a 2004 crf 250, i ride limited MX iam a vet rider 37 that is, and iam only at a novice level, all these 250 post make me a little nervous???????

I am 38. Went from a 250 2 smoker to a crf250r. Best move I have made yet. Best bike I have ever owned. No, none, zero, nada issues including oil. :cry:

Steve

I am very happy with my CRF250R also. Came off several years of YZ250 2 smokers. :cry: Plenty of power for us 43 year old 200 lb riders. :cry:

Love the 250. :cry:

I'm going to sell the 450.

great thanks for the info, :cry:

Hey Fred, are you going to race the 250 in harescrambles? I have talked to a couple of guys in the WNYOA series. They are having good luck with the rekluse clutchs. They are saying the bikes are lot less prone to overheating. I was thinking of the boyeson water pump conversion. What do you think??

Linco, I haven't had any overheating issues on mine at all. I did an enduro this summer when it was 90+, wicked tight and my bike never missed a beat.

I have considered the Z-Start in the 250 but I'm not sure yet. Are you saying the 250's are less prone to overheating than the 450's, or are you saying there less prone to overheating with the Rekluse?

I am 38. Went from a 250 2 smoker to a crf250r. Best move I have made yet. Best bike I have ever owned. No, none, zero, nada issues including oil. :cry:

Steve

I'm a little younger (34) but made the same switch with the same results. I am A LOT faster on the track with the CRF250 that I was on my 250 2smoker! :cry: :cry:

I am hearing less prone to over heat with the rekluse. It makes sense if your beating the crap out of the clutch in a muddy harescrable that the 250 would run cooler. I have never overheated my 250. But I have been on supermoto track hauling arse. :cry:

Hogry,

Let's put it this way... I am a longtime 450 rider. Last weekend my 450 wouldn't start(still working on that) so I borrowed my wife's 250F and raced it in a Hare Scramble. Keep in mind the suspension is set soft, and it even has a Kouba link installed for lowering. Should be set up all wrong , right? Wrong, I loved it. Bottom line: I pick up MY new 250f Saturday.

So, if you're nuts, at least you have company! :cry:

Made the switch last year from an '03 CRF450 to a '04 CRF250. I miss the holeshots, but I can hang in there much longer on my 250. My lap times were very close, within 1 second if I rode both bikes as fast as I could go. The thing is, If I ride the 450 as fast as I can go, I can only hold on for about 5 laps. The 250, I can go all day. :cry:

Well, I came off of a KX250 and went with the 250X.

I'm liking it more and more. Last weekend went trail riding

on tight , technical stuff with my Brother who rides a CRF450. I kept a gap between myself and him on everything but the hills (then he caught me). It takes a different way of thinking/riding, but once you get it, it's all good.

I learned to think ahead in some situations as you don't have that extra power when you need it to get you out of trouble. On the tight stuff - I was loving it. The power never get's outta hand and is nibble around the nasty stuff.

I left my bro in the dust in that situation. :cry:

Then when it opens up, I hear him coming. :cry: