Taneum Saturday 10/23

Heading back to Taneum on Saturday to get at least one more ride in before the snow comes.

I expect to be on the trail at 10 am

I might be interested in some of that.. I may be picking up a new (used 2001 model actually) KTM 250 EXC tomorrow afternoon.. (but it might be Saturday morning) was going to just head out there by my self but be nice to have some company.. that is if you don't mind the fact that I'll be riding initially as if on training wheels and fiddeling with things etc.

You parking at the Elfendahl Pass area?

I'll be in a gray Chevy one ton, pulling a silver cargo trailer

may be picking up a new (used 2001 model actually) KTM 250 EXC tomorrow

newman, are you buying fishhead's 2-smoke 250 EXC? cool to see you getting that bike, I think you'll like it. there is a growing group of us thumpers going to/back 2-smokes :cry:. myself, woods_rider, cgraham, halfnutz, loynz, just to name a few :cry:

:cry:

Me too by next summer. 300 or 380 EXC. I just want something quieter.

Im pretty sure I will be in Taneum on Saturday. I'm watching the weather real close but it looks like it should still be very rideable.

I just want something quieter

I thought about getting an aftermarket silencer to drop a little weight on the 300. The bike is very quiet with the stock can and has more than enough power, so no need! I have the stock exhaust on all my two-strokes and I plan to keep it that way. :cry:

Hey Newman, I think Elfhandahl pass is out in Belfair and thats nowhere near Taneum. Are you sure your thinking of the right place.

may be picking up a new (used 2001 model actually) KTM 250 EXC tomorrow

newman, are you buying fishhead's 2-smoke 250 EXC? cool to see you getting that bike, I think you'll like it. there is a growing group of us thumpers going to/back 2-smokes :cry:. myself, woods_rider, cgraham, halfnutz, loynz, just to name a few :cry:

:cry:

yep; I am picking it up tonight.. thought I'd give it a try.. been many years since I've ridden a 2st dirt bike and that was desert riding in So.Cal - so this will be a change fer sure. I almost pulled the trigger on a used 400 EXC and would have but another guy got there first.. but I've been wanting to go with something smaller lately; and at least try it for a while. Although there are some great 4st 250 class machines out there now.. most are rather new and unproven for the most part and some have issues that need to be addressed to make them decent trail bikes.. where as the KTM's seem to have been doing it pretty sucussfully for at least a decade (or longer with some models) without the need for a lot of changes from the stock bike.

I looked at it on Wednesday and it's got some wear (obviously) but it seems to have been well cared for.. and Dave seems like a pretty decent guy.. he even offered to help me set the suspension up for my weight tonight.. a nice thing to offer.

You parking at the Elfendahl Pass area?

duh.. you wrote Taneum, I read Tahuya

I was wondering why you were mentioning snow <g> Tahuya doesn't get much of that

can't make Taneum as I need to be back home in the early afternoon

I just want something quieter

I thought about getting an aftermarket silencer to drop a little weight on the 300. The bike is very quiet with the stock can and has more than enough power, so no need! I have the stock exhaust on all my two-strokes and I plan to keep it that way. :cry:

I here ya. If and when I get one I will be leaving the stock silencer on it for sure. Now pipe on the other hand is different. and all the other mods too. It is just too bad that the 4 strokes, (specifically Yamahas), cannot be made quieter without choking them off like a WR ex. Then to make matters worse when I was repacking my CRD I crushed the core. So now I am back to the White Brothers R4 which is just plain obnoxious.

Another reason for the switch is I just miss the fun that I had with my 250's. Lighter, quicker, and better turning just make for a fun time. Not saying I don't have fun on the 426, just a different type of fun that is less fun. :cry: :cry:

Heading back to Taneum on Saturday to get at least one more ride in before the snow comes.

I expect to be on the trail at 10 am

there is very likely snow already in the higher elevations (4000 feet). So windy pass will have a bit of snow on it as well as Frost Mt and Quartz Mt.. It ought to be fun. Im bringing my KX500.

i'll be over there too - probably between 9 and 9:30.

ended up riding locally - how was taneum?

ended up riding locally - how was taneum?

You missed out on a completely awsome ride. We rode the lower trails and the high trails. The trails were great. We had snow, we had mud, and we had a beautiful spring day all in one ride. I have quite a few nice pictures from the ride. Will post them later. :cry:

Loynz and I were not too far from you Saturday.. Yep, snow, mud sun and some very cold temps on top at Funny Rocks... Went to take a drink from my Camelback and the hose was frozen! :cry:

We rode DOWN to Manastash Lake and back up. Some fairly deep snow at the top. No problem going down, but there was a tire track from a big bike that was a day or two old in the middle of the trail.. For fun on the way up, I avoided his rut thinking that I was taking the more difficult line in the crunchy snow. but at the top, his track was too difficult to avoid and it was then that I discovered that eventhough there was dirt showing in his rut, the melted snow from his track had combined with the dirt only to form a sheet of ice!! Had to restart a couple of times near the top to get out.

Ran across some hunters that were doing some 4-wheeling at Moon rocks in the snow and rolled it in the rocks!! :cry: Loynz has a photo. Can't see much of the damage from the photo, but you can see the back of the bed bent in a little.. It was upside down for awhile and I guess they lost some oil and were waiting for a friend to bring back some oil so they could get out of there:

web page

You should have seen the look on their faces when we showed up on the Trials Bikes and proceeded to ride all over the snow and rocks where they had rolled it. We could hear the hoots and howlers as they watched us from a distance. All I could think of was "Don't Shoot Please!" :cry:

A great day riding.. Not what I expected, but a great day anyway!!