lights for my sx

just wanted to know if anybody has put a light on a 525 sx?

Travis D37 can hook you up with an EXC stator and harness, then you need to buy an Acerbis or other headlight. I believe it runs around 600 bucks......I think

I DID!

I tried to piece a kit together, etc...big pain.

For my set-up...

I gave Dale @ TRICK Dualsport a call and he set me up with a self contained, complete, dual sport kit. (doesn't require an OEM battery...big advantage there)

He was very helpful with answering my questions, etc.

The complete kit ran about $450, I think...

Also, depending on the year of the bike, you may or may not have to install the EXC flywheel and stator. My 03' SX needed these.

(BTW, I actually like the EXC flywheel better...a littl emore flywheel effect, less prone to stalling.)

Now, if you decide to go the OEM route, etc. I have a brand new OEM(exc) harness, still in the box, that I didn't need due to going with TRICK. Let me know if you're interested.

Feel free to PM me if you have anymore questions... :cry:

The '02 and earlier 520sx's come stock with the larger stator and FW and will support lights. ANY '03 and newer sx will not run lights because the stator was changed (smaller).

I recomend the Trick Dual Sport kit as well.

thanks for all the info guys my bike is a 03 525 so it looks like I mite hold off for now thats more than what i want to spend right now I will just ride the wifes quad at night

email david at dbuller@cableone.net if you still have the harness, and or anything else (information) on converting an 2003 525 sx into an exc. Can you just get a stator rewind? Everyone has told me you need the stator/flywheel. Thanks. :cry:

Anyone have a stator and flywheel for an '03 525 exc? Also, do you need to replace the CDI ignition on the sx, as I heard somewhere? If so, I need one of those also. Leave info or email Dave at Dbuller@cableone.net. Thanks. :cry:

No you do not need the ignition but you do need the stator cover as well thoe the mounting holes are spaced different.

THE 03 KTM525SX HAS WHAT IS REFERD TO AS A K2 STATOR THERE SHOULD BE ONE WIRE THAT IS EITHER WHITE OR YELLOW THAT IS NOT PLUGED INTO ANYTHING AND HAS A FEMALE SPADE CONNECTOR ON IT, USUALLY UNDER THE FUEL TANK, THE ONE WIRE WILL SUPPORT 35W OF POWER, ENOUGH TO POWER A SMALL HEADLIGHT, BUT BE SURE TO PURCHASE A REGULATOR FOR IT AS THE POWER INCREASES AS REVS DO, WHICH WILL BLOW BULBS PRETTY QUICK IF YOU DON'T HAVE ONE. MAKE SURE THAT THE BULB IS 35W MAX. HOPE THIS HELPS.

K2...... where did you get that? It is a 4k3a and a 4k3b on the exc/mxc and no you can not power a light with only 1 wire.So why dont you listen to us people that have put lights on our 525sx's

The 2K series are what they put on the 125 & 200 2 strokes

KTM525SX WHY DON'T YOU CALL BAJA DESIGNS, BECAUSE YOU CAN PUT A 35W LIGHT ON THE BIKE WITH ONLY ONE WIRE "POWER" AND THEN YOU NEED A GROUND, MY 02 520 HAS 2 WIRES AND 110W AND IT ONLY USES ONE WIRE, THE EXC AND MXC NEEDS TO POWER A BATTERY AS WELL, NOT THE SX, I ALSO HAD AN 01 520SX THAT ONLY HAD ONE WIRE AND I PUT A 35W LIGHT ON IT, SO SHUT YOUR MOUTH BEFORE YOU GET YOUR FACTS STRAIGHT, BY THE WAY K2 MEANS HOW MANY PHASES ARE IN THE STATOR, K3=3 PHASE STATOR AND YES THEY PUT K2'S ON FOURSTROKES TOO!!!

first of all the guyes at baja designs are a bunch of retards I had them do a rewrap on my crf450 and did a light from them and the damn thing would not keep a bulb in it for more than 1 ride and they could not tell me why..and how are you going to ground the system with 1 wire and ya the 520 and the 525 do have different systems tne the 520 does have 2 wired I know i bought one so i could put lights on with good power, if you had good power from you 520 why did you only put a 35w on it ..I am done I am not going to argue with you b*tchnnnnn back forth with one another on line is the stupid thing, it sounds like a bunch of kidds fighting

KTM525SX WHY DON'T YOU CALL BAJA DESIGNS, BECAUSE YOU CAN PUT A 35W LIGHT ON THE BIKE WITH ONLY ONE WIRE "POWER" AND THEN YOU NEED A GROUND, MY 02 520 HAS 2 WIRES AND 110W AND IT ONLY USES ONE WIRE, THE EXC AND MXC NEEDS TO POWER A BATTERY AS WELL, NOT THE SX, I ALSO HAD AN 01 520SX THAT ONLY HAD ONE WIRE AND I PUT A 35W LIGHT ON IT, SO SHUT YOUR MOUTH BEFORE YOU GET YOUR FACTS STRAIGHT, BY THE WAY K2 MEANS HOW MANY PHASES ARE IN THE STATOR, K3=3 PHASE STATOR AND YES THEY PUT K2'S ON FOURSTROKES TOO!!!

Dude you need to lighten up. "SO SHUT YOUR MOUTH BEFORE YOU GET YOUR FACTS STRAIGHT" What the heck is that about? No one has slamed you they just disagreed with you. You're very combative and there's no need to be. We all share ideas, thoughts, opinions, etc here just because some one doesn't agree with you is no reason to get all worked up.

Now that that's said you need to get your facts straight as well. If your '01 had only one yellow wire some one changed the stator because all 00-02 520 sx's came stock with the larger stator. The stators are not "2" phase there is no such thing in electricity anyway, you have single and three phase. The e/mxc stator is dual output meaning it puts out both ac and dc current. The SX only produces dc current. The smaller sx stator can run a 35w light but It doesn't produce enogh voltage to power a headlight, tail light, turn signals and horn as required by law to make the bike street legal. There are no K2 stators used on RFS 4 stroke KTM's

Here are the 2 stators KTM uses btw:

00-02 520SX's and all e/mxc- 59039104000 STATOR CPL. 4K3B RACING 2000

00-02 400SX's and all 03 and up SX's- 59039004000 STATOR CPL. 4K3A RACING 2000

Thanks Travis !!!!!

Servus Travis_D-37,

The e/mxc stator is dual output meaning it puts out both ac and dc current. The SX only produces dc current.

Have I missed something here? Don't stators always put out AC?

BTW, on my 2004 450SX the poles for AC output were not wound at all (no yellow cable), so I did it myself. Here is a link on how to do it: stator wind

I used 20gauge (0,8mm) wire and wound all 3 poles to the max.

Michael

Sorry I should have been more clear. The m/exc stator is actually 2 coils in one. One coil is used for running lights and the other is used in conjunction with a rectifier to produce dc voltage to charge the battery. There is a way to rewire the e/mxc stator to make it a high output single stator there by giving you more usable power.

The sx stator is single a leg as you noted internaly grounded producing only enough voltage to run the ignition coil.

I never tried rewiring an sx stator what kind of watage did you end up with?

Servus Travis,

I never tried rewiring an sx stator what kind of watage did you end up with?

I'm running a 50W Halogen bulb, which is dim at idle but as soon as the revs go up I get full light. 50W because I wanted to do some reliability testing how the 20 gauge wire holds up under full load.

Michael

I have a 2001 520SX that I'd like to put a light on as well. I'm curious as to if the EXC hard parts from KTM will bolt right up to my SX. I'm going to tear it apart and check, but I'm pretty sure it has the bigger stator.

So pretty much just a headlight kit, regulator/rectifier? I'd rather keep the bike a kickstart (believe it or not). Its a pain, but it doesnt break.

i have a 2002 520sx with elec start so can i use i wire to charge the battery ,, eltrics are not my strong point so it needs to be simple and cheep

This is an old ass thread but thanks Travis for letting me know my 2000 520sx has the big stator