Who will race the Supermoto A-Go-Go?

From AMASupermoto.com:

Las Vegas Schedule announced (with entry regulations)

...Riders who have qualified for a main event during any 2004 AMA Supermoto Championship will be mailed entry forms. Additionally, former FIM World Champions and any rider who has earned points at an FIM World Championship event this season are eligible to enter. Entries must be received by Nov. 5, 2004. Post entries will not be accepted. FIM World Champions/competitors interested in competing should contact AMA Pro Racing’s Competition Services Department at (614) 856-1900....

That said, who will be there to race?

All guesses, rumors, and speculations are welcome! :cry:

Isn't it interesting how the AMA went to all the trouble to delay the schedule so all these people could participate in the series and none of them showed up, only the regular riders showed up.

Hopefully they can get on with a schedule next year and not worry about who is going to race.

"competitors interested in competing should contact AMA Pro Racing’s Competition Services Department"

Does this mean they might allow people like Windham in the event, I hope so.

I am guessing only the regulars will be at the race.

nicely paraphrased as:

"if you are a name, or ever have been a name, you are invited. If you are not a name you are going to have fight over the scraps and we may or may not let you race".

i laughed so hard i almost fell out of the chair when i read this post about del mar on amasupermoto.com

"Unfortunately, perhaps the two biggest did not make it: Ben Bostrom and Jeremy McGrath. McGrath, who has yet to appear on the circuit this season, planned on racing at Del Mar, but had to pull out due to a painful blister on his hand suffered while shoveling dirt , repairing a MX track he was practicing on."

i think mcgrath is one of the greats in motorcycle racing but i cant beleive what a &%$#@! he has turned into.

He should at least hire someone to come up w/ better excuses because this isnt helping the sport.

I think that was a mis-quote it was supposed to say he suffered a blister while counting all the cash he received to race Supercross this upcoming January. :cry:

Isn't it interesting how the AMA went to all the trouble to delay the schedule so all these people could participate in the series and none of them showed up, only the regular riders showed up.

Did AMA Pro Racing delay the schedule for that reason? Who's your source?

And I'd agree that fewer riders from other disciplines came out than I would have hoped, but I wonder how much of that was due to weather-related schedule changes (VIR) versus the Supermoto schedule changes (Reno and South Boston).

Hopefully they can get on with a schedule next year and not worry about who is going to race.

Again, was that the main concern with the timing of the schedule?

"competitors interested in competing should contact AMA Pro Racing’s Competition Services Department"

Does this mean they might allow people like Windham in the event, I hope so.

Riders who have earned point/s in FIM-sanctioned events may enter. Did Windham do that (I could not find his name on the results page at fim.ch)?

I am guessing only the regulars will be at the race.

I hope that the event will draw some new riders.

What happened to trying to form our own stars in supermotard? Yeah, it's nice to have Ben Bostrom come it and win the championship because he showed up at two whole races :cry: Or VDB, and Chambon show up and show off a bit. But what about boosting the regulars up and making them the attraction? Ben Carlson, and the like. They're the ones who are there, race in and race out doing the business, making the events, and dedicating themselves to the series. If the AMA ignores them and focus entirly on guest riders, what kind of message is that sending to those who want to make a real effort in Supermoto?

The way I look at it the faster the competition the better the racing, everyone should be welcome.

I think the AMA was trying to cater and coax some of the most famous riders into attending the regular rounds to qualify for the final. I think it might have backfired on them when a bunch didn't make it.

It's a new sport and I think the AMA is trying to figure out strategies.

The Reno race worked out so well it might lead to events something like a Disney World race or even the Daytona Bike Week Race.

The Columbus Ohio race could be held in conjunction with the July 4th celebration where there are a half million people down town - How cool would something like that be. :cry:

I think we are making our own stars in American Supermoto. Luckly, I have been able to make a name for myself.

My thought is... a series should be just that a series. Come one, come all! And that means to every event or just one. I think the vegas finale is cool, but anyone should be able to enter! Or it should be absoluely restricted to those in the points. Period.....No special invites! I think it should be one way or the other! No grey area!

If the promotors want the big names then do a one off special event. (X-Games) with a big purse to attract big names. Don't try to mix that kind of event in a Pro AMA Series! :cry: :cry:

what kind of message is that sending to those who want to make a real effort in Supermoto?

The answer to that seems rather obvious to me... The AMA is trying to get Supermoto to grow into something big like Supercross. It seems like if big names can help the sport to grow then everyone will be better off in the long run. If the sport takes off there will be big $$$ in sponsorships and people can actually make a career from Supermoto rather than racing for low purse amounts forever and complaining about it.

Right now the AMA is opererating Supermoto at a loss and I'm sure the promoters are as well. If the sport grows then I'm sure it will adopt some firm guidelines like MX/SX/Road Race and other established forms of racing.

I think we are making our own stars in American Supermoto. Luckly, I have been able to make a name for myself.

And you are?

Kidding...Great job at Del Mar!

Seeing the big names, ala bostrom race is cool, but I think it's the regulars that put on the show. Just like any series you get to know who's who and the close racing keeps you coming back.

Ama Supermoto seems to be a catch22. There's no money because attendance is low. It's low because there's no promotion. IMHO AMA could do a much better job promoting the races because from a fans perspective (me) the races are WAY more exciting than a superbike event. Personally I could care less if a "big" name shows cause last I checked there were a couple big names dicing for 1st.

Belgian Gerald Delepine (Factory Husgvarna) emailed me today that he is tryin to come to the final, I helped him last year and he had a lot of fun at Vegas!!! :cry:

Darrick

IMHO AMA could do a much better job promoting the races

AMA doesn't promote the races, the promoter does.

You seem to understand Supermoto and how it's more exciting than roadracing but you're like the rest of us on this board... hard core fans that will be there no matter what. We need the masses, like the 45,000 people that show up every week to Supercross.

I was thinking about how much the sport has grown in the past year... Last year we had a race in So. Cal at Irwindale and even though the promoter, Tritler Entertainment, did a good job advertising (Shane Tritler even had his friend Travis Pastrana on all the L.A. area radio stations promoting the race) it was pretty lackluster. This year we had a race in Del Mar and it seemed like the promoter, Clear Channel, didn't advertise at all yet the race was big success... it just goes to show that the sport is growing and we're headed in the right direction.

99.99% of people probably don't know who Gary Trachy or Ben Carlson are, and if they battle each other every weekend that probably won't change much. But if they beat Jeremy McGrath, Travis Pastrana, Tom Cruise, George Bush, Sponge-Bob or some other mainstream name in a motorcycle race it can only do good things for their career.

Your right, the sport is growing just look at were it was last year. With time and good track locations and a core of supermoto racers that stay at it they will have a name in the sport, just look at Sx or Mx if you make the top 15 in the finals its a big deal and they are name riders with most having good support rides. :cry:

Darrick

MotoGreg: Okay then, the promoter has to do a better job. Something tells me that if you can get the average joe to go to a race, which of course they need to know about in the first place, chances are you'll have a convert. Regardless of who's racing.

Hell, the first time I went to a sttars race I bought a bike right there at the track!

AMA doesn't promote the races, the promoter does

As far as I can tell, no one is promoting it! :cry: (except Reno this year and Red Bull with Vegas last year.)

The fact of the matter is it will take a couple(like 3-4) of years to get the thing profitable- as is the case with any start up venture. But I think if the AMA keeps the series going like it's going, and they actually up the promotion on the series, it will turn into something huge. Reno was proof of that. Supermoto has something no other form of racing has- you can put it anywhere! No other form of motor racing can say that! None. So next year there needs to be 10 - 12 rounds, and they should be in Vegas, Reno, Atlantic city, Disney world, Anaheim SX on friday night, the streets of San Francisco, State fairs, Superbowl halftime, hell the possibilities are endless. It will take just a little creativity and some good PROMOTION and the thing will go off. Hopefully Gary can eventually get that factory ride he deserves. :cry: BTW, vote Bush or the chances will get really slim! :cry:

But if they beat Jeremy McGrath, Travis Pastrana, Tom Cruise, George Bush, Sponge-Bob or some other mainstream name in a motorcycle race it can only do good things for their career.

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry::lol: That had me rolling!

So I'm siiting in the Wahoo's Fish Taco shop by my house on Friday. In comes walking some guy holding a bunch of post cards and a poster. They are for the AMA Red Bull Supermoto-a-go-go!!!! Here I am 250 miles away from vegas and a month before the race and someone is actually promoting Supermoto!!! The cards and the posters looked cool!! The problem was....the guy gets paid for how many shops he can get the posters in. He just asked if he could put the poster up and take a picture. Then he would take it down. When the manager said he could not do that the guy burned the bridge and they wouldn't even let him leave the cards! Anyways, it is really cool to see that Red Bull is out there promoting this event!

Back to the invited rider, vs the series rider. I hope all the big names show up! That is what I hope for at every one of these events! It is way better for me to go out and beat a name, or at least be racing with the big names. I personally think that Vegas, even though it is the final round, should be come all. Anyone should be able to enter! Period! But, I do not think it should be like last years "winner take all" event or even like this years event with the top five scoring double points! Just because Bostrom can score double points doesn't mean he will show up! Even if someone not riding the series won the event, they would end up tenth or so in the Championship. Just promote the race as the biggest SM race yet! As the place to be! Invite the right riders and make it worth their while to show up! (BIG PURSE$$$$)

When supercross first came out it was a joke. The stands were not sold out! This is new! It is also weird to a lot of people. I know a lot of guys that ride motocross and read cyclenews. They don't care or read about any of the road racing stuff. And I'm sure there are road racers that could care less about any of the motocross articles. But there are pletny of people that think both are cool. Those are the SM fans. This sport is growing, I think faster than Supercross did 30 years ago. I think we will all be amazed in where this sport goes and how big this sport gets! :cry: :cry:

Last year Red Bull promoted the race really good too. I was out at the Elsinore MX track a couple weeks before the race and I saw one of those Toyota RAV-4 Red Bull cars pull in. They drove around the pits handing out free Red Bull and postcard fliers for the Vegas race to everyone. Now that's good promotion, really hitting the streets. Jeff Ward was parked next to me so I told the Red Bull girl to go give a post card to him because he might be interested. :cry: