4-strokes replacing 85's

how long do you think its gonna take for the 4-strokes to take over the 85's and who's gonna make the first 120

hopefully very soon

from what i understand, the 150F will run in the 85cc class. at least, that is the current FIM rule. AMA hasn't decided yet, but once it's official you can expect to see 150 MXers from all the manufacturers.

like i said... hopefully verrrrry soon :cry: :cry:

you can race 150's and 230's in the 85 class at my track. but those are pretty slow bikes...they definitley need to make a race 4 stroke bike for the 85 class.

from what i understand, the 150F will run in the 85cc class. at least, that is the current FIM rule. AMA hasn't decided yet, but once it's official you can expect to see 150 MXers from all the manufacturers.

From what I understand the AMA is holding up the show. They won't commit to the 150 standard, and no one want to put a bike out only to have to change it. Don't kid yourself. Yamaha already has this bike ready to go, they are waiting for the AMA. :cry:

and you guys think the 250fs are grenades :cry:

No,,,,,,

The yellow, Green and Red ones are the grenades. Blue don't blow. :cry:

No,,,,,,

:cry: :cry:

:cry: 06 ,bros , i cant wait to buy my son one, their coming :cry:

well at my track i can shut out my freinds brother on his CR85 pretty well.... :cry: Dont mean to toot my own horn here... i still have alot to learn :cry:

No,,,,,,

lol! true!!

i thought the AMA's rule was double the cc's for the four strokes so wouldnt it be a 170??? :cry:

From what I understand the AMA is holding up the show. They won't commit to the 150 standard, and no one want to put a bike out only to have to change it. Don't kid yourself. Yamaha already has this bike ready to go, they are waiting for the AMA. :cry:

The manufacturers CAN build nearly any bike, and they WILL market it, regardless what the AMA says, IF there is a market. Remember the XL350 and TT500. But mighty Honda, arguably the builder of the best off-road four-strokes, didn’t field a pure-race MX four-stroke until Yamaha proved that there was a public hungry for one. Yamaha helped create that market by working with the AMA to devise the displacement disparity rule. Yamaha took a risk the others were reluctant to take and it paid off big, BUT, Yamaha was unwilling to take that risk without the AMA sanction. After all, “Race on Sunday, Sell on Monday”.

I understand that Yamaha is once again petitioning the AMA to apply the same rule to the small-bore classes at a National level – not just the local races where the local governing bodies can set the rules. The AMA, knowing Yamaha has a race-ready 150 in the wings, may not want to grant an unfair advantage to one manufacturer again. (It is not unlikely that the other bike builders are pressuring the AMA to NOT apply the rule until they have their own bikes ready!) But once again, Yamaha is not willing to take that risk without the AMA sanction.

If you think, “Yamaha opened a floodgate of demand with the YZ400F, they could easily do it again – with or without the AMA – with a YZ150F”, consider this…

Current small-bore two-strokes, when used as race bikes, are maintenance-intensive, and a nearly "disposable" commodity, much more so than the bigger bikes (flame away). Will racers (or more importantly, the general public) be willing to spend 25% - 50% more for a "use-it-up and throw-it-away" product? Jack Phinn of BIGMINIS has a DRZ110 built out to 150cc that frequently beats 85's in National-level competition (not just a "friend's brother" - no offense to Red_Rider04). That kind of performance does not come cheap, and has lots of maintenance requirements.

I’m all for a kick-a$$ small four-stroke like BBR’s CRF150/CR85 hybrid, but how many people can afford one? (Still, you can be sure the big manufacturers are keeping an eye on BBRs sales).

Cheers!

Dan.

well at my track i can shut out my freinds brother on his CR85 pretty well.... :cry: Dont mean to toot my own horn here... i still have alot to learn :cry:

your friends bro must suck...no offinse..i have raced the cr 85s and they haul!!

by the time they make one, i'll be too old/tall for one :cry: :cry:

by the time they make one, i'll be too old/tall for one :cry: :cry:

Actually, those big-wheel 85's are pretty roomy, especially considering that adults race XR/CRF 50's.