'05 valve clearance check...interesting results...

I checked my valves for the first time tonight. I have 4.1 hours on the bike so far, with the first oil & filter change done at 1.7 hours. I wished I had checked them before even riding it, but you know how that goes... Any way:

Intake valve spec: .005"-.007"

-Right @ .006" (perfect)

-Left @ .006" (perfect)

Exhaust valve spec: .010"-.012"

-Right @ .009" (little tight)

-Left @ .010" (Bottom of the range)

Auto Decomp. spec: .014"

-.015" (would be perfect if the R ex. valve was @ .010")

Intake valves were perfect. Exhausts were both a little on the tight side (one more that the other). This seems unusual from what I have read on here. I will check again after about 15 more hours. I really think that the exhausts will open up a bit, and things will be right on the money. But I guess time will tell.

I guess the thing that really suprised me was the spark plug. This was the first time I have had it out. It was pretty black and sooty. I know, this means a rich condition. But, that is wierd, considering I had to richen the pilot screw a lot to keep it from popping and backfiring (lean). Maybe I got a little over-zealous and my idle is too rich. But, I find that hard to believe, it runs great. Maybe it was just the whole break-in and tune up process that carboned up the plug so bad!? I know that installing the spare jet that came with it won't help, because it is a #170, and the stock one is a #168. That would only make it richer.

Oh, and by the way, the manual says not to clean the plug, but I did. I used carb cleaner and a soft toothbrush. Afterall, I couldn't put that black, sooty thing back in my engine! It worked out fine and even seemed to fire up a lot easier. Sorry for rambilng... :cry:

Regarding your plug, did you do a full throttle plug chop before you removed the plug?

I too have checked my valves. One intake was perfect one was at .007, one exhaust was perfect and one was at .012.It cranks and runs great so I am not going to worry about it.My decompressor was also at .014. I have about 4 or 5 hours on mine. :cry:

Regarding your plug, did you do a full throttle plug chop before you removed the plug?

No. This was the first time I have had the plug out. It has 4.1 hours, and this one was the original plug, installed at the factory.

At least in the 2 stroke world, the only proper way of determining jetting from reading your plug is to do plug chops which consists of full throttle runs for at least 5 seconds and then kill the motor and pull in the clutch at the same time and then pull the plug to read. I would assume 4 strokes would be the same.

Remember hi-per thumpers uses AP which is going to turn your plug dark even if its lean.

Remember hi-per thumpers uses AP which is going to turn your plug dark even if its lean.

AP???

accelerator pump.

hey thats good to here . i need to do the same. ihave some knocking noise in my engine but it starts right up. no problem. should i be concerned. iv changed the oil after every hard ride during the break in period.

Ahh, the accelerator pump...silly me. :cry: Yeah, I guess I can see how it makes the plug sooty. But, I have heard of guys on here with '02 450's, with the original plug in them! I would think, judging by the way mine looked after 4.1 hours, that it surely won't last 2 years! Maybe it would, it just looked pretty black to me.

Crashwithstyle: I was concerned about that knock, too, when I first broke mine in, but I guess it is normal. When I idle it down low, it is really noticeable. I made a post about this and everyone says its normal. I love this bike!!!

Brand new no rides, my exhaust valves were dead on .011 and intake left .006 and right .005 I did adj the right to .006 and I also have that clicking noise in the valve train I think it must be the decompession valve? It starts great and runs like a raped ape

Ahh, the accelerator pump...silly me. :cry: Yeah, I guess I can see how it makes the plug sooty. But, I have heard of guys on here with '02 450's, with the original plug in them! I would think, judging by the way mine looked after 4.1 hours, that it surely won't last 2 years! Maybe it would, it just looked pretty black to me.

I bought my 03 in August of 02, still have the same plug in it. Actually I have never even had the thing out of the bike. Crazy huh. :cry:

The valves have been off from the factory on two of my bikes. Once I shimmed them to perfection, I never messed with it again. :cry:

i'm still on the original plug.... from waaaaaaay back in 02.