Is it hard to put a new sprocket on? And how much top speed....

loss will i experience as well as acceleration increase....i am completely new to motorcycling and i want some more power in the 4th and 5th gears of my bike...any help would be appreciated. Simply: is it hard to install a new sprocket. what will i need to do so. thx tt'ers! :cry: :cry: :cry:

Dont worry, it shouldnt be to hard. Check your manual. Messing around with sprockets is a good way to find out what gearing suits you best. I find that the stock gearing fits me just fine, never a situation where I feel "between" gears. What gearing does a stock X have?

no idea man, no idea...im just 14, and coming off of a care-free ttr 125L. i need to learn somehow to do this though...i have stock gearing never touched ANYTHING on the bike.

The front sprocket is quite easy to change (and cheap), but it will make a large difference in how the bike performs. I went down one tooth in the front because I ride a lot of tight, technical trails. I like my bikes geared way down, but most people would think it was too low. My top speed is now about 55 mph.

You can get much finer tuning by changing out the rear, but it is a little more work since you need to take off the rear wheel. To gear down, you would go with a larger rear sprocket. If you go too large, you will also have to lengthen your chain.

You can compute the gear ratio by dividing the number of teeth on the rear by the number on the front. One tooth change in the front is roughly equal to four teeth in the back.

Do a search in this forum on gearing and sprockets and you will find the opinions of many others, but you really need to decide what works best for you.

no idea man, no idea...im just 14, and coming off of a care-free ttr 125L. i need to learn somehow to do this though...i have stock gearing never touched ANYTHING on the bike.

Im 15 and started riding this year.

It isnt to hard. Follow your manual, ask your dad for help if you need it. Dont be afraid to ask questions. I have found all of mine answered in Hecklers great posts and in the manual. Good luck :cry:

thank you very much guys.... happy riding, norwegian! :cry:

thank you very much guys.... happy riding, norwegian! :cry:

thanks

I'm looking foward to shimming my valves :cry:

how will i know if i have bad valves or whatever everyone is talking about?

if it's hard to start u know u have bad valves. (at least that is one of the symptoms) how much wear is on the chain and rear sprocket now?