2005 DR-Z400SM

DRY WEIGHT 295 lbs.

Key Features Suzuki's new Supermotard model based on DR-Z400S - combines Supermotard style and features in a narrow, lightweight street-legal package

I think Mother Suzuki may have missed our notes on that topic

DRY WEIGHT 295 lbs.

Key Features Suzuki's new Supermotard model based on DR-Z400S - combines Supermotard style and features in a narrow, lightweight street-legal package

welll it does come in BLACK!! ?

http://www.sacramentomotorcycles.com/images/NewVehicles/2005_4_dr-z400smblk.jpg

DRY WEIGHT 295 lbs.

IMO that is light for a street legal motorcycle.

Regarding the FCR: That ain't gonna happen on a street legal bike either.

Mike

?

It cost about $600 more then the S. The suspension, brakes, and wheels would be approaching 2 grand to purchase and install on an S.

I think you could buy and FCR, cams and a base gasket to get the power cheaper then you could convert an S or E to super moto.

I think it is a bargain if you want a SM.

Spec on an S is Dry Weight: 132kg (291 lbs.)

Spec on an E is Dry Weight: 119kg (262 lbs.)

Spec on an SM is Dry Weight: 134kg (295 lbs.)

My point was.. We have been asking for a lighter weight DRZ....

Wither that is the S, turned in to a SM

An E turned in to a SM

or a SM from the OEM ?

We, the DRZ collective have asked for a few things,, we believe would make the DRZ a better bike

Lighter is one thing., a 6th gear is another, 50 more CC's is a third. What Suzuki gave us,, is a DRS, with some nice goodies bolted on... Cool no doubt ? And if I was looking at doing a SM bike,, I might consider it as a starting place for my SM bike.

Agreed Bronco. ? All those things would be nice, particularly a sixth gear and a 450 cc capacity. Seems like those would have been easy and cheap to do.

For a comparision in the real world, Cycle World magazine tested a Husky 450 SMR and a KTM 450 SMR last month. These bikes are stripped down race bikes with limited oil capacities and the maintenance which goes with that.

The Husky which has electric start weighs 262 LBS with the tank empty.

The KTM is kick start only: 246 tank empty.

Add on heavy DOT lighting and other street legal requirements (much of which can be changed out or removed on the DRZ) along with the added oil and water capacities and the DRZ doesn't look so bad IMO.

So where are our extra 50 cc's? ?.

? :cry: ?

Mike

?

DRY WEIGHT 295 lbs.

Its 4 lbs heavier then the S ?

So where are our extra 50 cc's? ?.

? :cry: ?

Mike

?

Won't get them from Japan in a cross over street legal package. There is a 400cc licensing deal in many asian countries for anything over 400cc that costs more money, requires more training etc. It would really hurt their ability to produce one engine for economy of scale and we keep buying and there is little competition except for the gas gas which doesn't have the marketing network to truely compete. ?

That makes sense Bass Man.

FWIW My buddy just got a KTM 625 SMC. It is a street legal bike, weighs 321 lbs. dry. It feels just like my DRZ but with the 625 LC 4 motor from my KTM Duke. The bike is awesome and feels much lighter than my Duke which is only supposed to weigh about 10 lbs. more.

I guess it is good to have so many options. Love my DRZ. ?

Mike

?

:shocked:DOH!! Now they make a SM!! after I started my conversion, oh well, still cheaper to convert than trade. Just an observation and some questions. The swing arm looks to have different chain adjuster, better/worse? And wondering if the speedometer is the same as the S, and will the drive work on the S to correct the speed when using 17's. Also has the suspension been shortened? links, forks?

Can't wait to see one in person, but it does kinda suck that you can get a DRZ supermoto "store bought" now, kinda makes the converted ones (and the hard work involved) not so special now.