Traffic leaving Las Vegas?

I'm thinking about riding my DRZ 400 S to Las Vegas for a convention this weekend. I will go up and back on I-15 from Carlsbad. I hear the traffic really stinks leaving Las Vegas on Sunday evening, which is why I'm considering the drz instead of my truck.

I'm used to splitting traffic, I do it all the time on I-5, but I'm a little hesitant in the dark and with the boozed-up gamblers on the road. Plus the trip will be around 330 miles one way, and my @ss may not be able to finish the trip. Anyone out there with an opinion?

Well I hope you know that you can't lane split in the silver state, and I will also tell you that Vegas has the worst drivers on earth because everyone is from some where else and only 7 people are originally from here.

:cry: I would not do it.

That's a pretty long trip... You'll be wanting to listen to the radio after about 150 miles, too. The bike will probably make it but you'll regret it!

Which would you rather sit in traffic with? Your bike, or your truck? :cry:

fly!!!!!!!!!!

you will probably regret that after the 2nd hour of sitting on that dual sport seat and by the third hour you'll be lookimg for a truck to put your bike in and ride the rest of the way

don't do it....

just fly there...

Don't take the highway... just dual sport it off road. That's what that bike is for.

Thanks for the advice.

I'd fly except I also heard that travelers need to get to the airport 6 hrs early for a Sunday evening flight because of the crowds. Las Vegas is totally booked out this weekend, too. Also, I don't think that 12hrs will qualify me for an advanced purchase fare.

I like the idea of off-roading it, but I will need a larger gas tank first.

What I really need is a ride with a bus load of Hawaiian Tropic girls who need lotion rubbed on their backs. Maybe if I win it big in Vegas...

I guess I'll drive the truck.

That's my point. If I rode the drz I wouldn't be sitting in traffic. There is nothing more fun than riding up the middle of a bunch of schmucks sitting in traffic. It really pisses them off.

That's my point. If I rode the drz I wouldn't be sitting in traffic. There is nothing more fun than riding up the middle of a bunch of schmucks sitting in traffic. It really pisses them off.

I dunno about Nevada, but the cops don't particularly like that here in FL.

My ass-o-meter is good for about 60 highway miles :cry: After that, I'm shifting my weight, standing on the pegs, dragging my feet etc... Offroad is easier cause your constantly moving and adjusting your weight for the obstackles.... Seems like a LOOOOONNNGGGG ride to me :cry:

Never been to Vegas, close as I was was Salt Lake but me and my wife will put 250 to 500 miles every other weekend on my DRZ with my harley buddies.

Ride and enjoy just stop every 100 miles, fuel up and walk around and drink something cold you will be fine.

It works for us.

I'm all about adventure. I look for opportunities to ride. The longer the better. Take the opportunity now, you may not have it tommorrow.

I rode a 1990XT600 from Gainesville, Florida to Homer, Alaska summer of 1995. NO $hit!

Best trip ever. It was over the course of 3 weeks though.

I hit New Orleans French Quarter, the Grand Canyon, LAS VEGAS, Death Valley, Mammoth MTN., the Redwood forests of N. Cal. , the PCH of Oregon and the Olympic pennisula of Wash. state. Got on the Alaska state ferry and still did 900+miles of the AL-Can highway. It was the ride of a lifetime.

And yes, I did have monkey butt.

330 miles in a day is a good haul on a dual sport. 570 was my limit on the interstate super slabs in Texas, I needed a hotel room after that day. My 600 cruised at 75-80mph half throttle easily. Gear that sucker for the moon. Figure out a way to play some tunes as well. It will help pass the time.