Greasing the Airbox Seal

What kind of grease should you use for greasing the airbox seal? I have an all-purpose waterproof marine grease similar to the bel-ray stuff...is this good?? Also my air-box is broken. The left side wall of the airbox where there is a screw holding two of the parts together..part of the plastic ring broke that holds the screw in :cry: But i dont think its an immediate problem becasue whatever dust gets through will just be caught by the filter....right?

i use to grease it all the time until i read that the newer bikes dont need it because it seals tight by itself. its only been like 3 rides without the grease so if this isnt true im still safe i hope.

i use to grease it all the time until i read that the newer bikes dont need it because it seals tight by itself. its only been like 3 rides without the grease so if this isnt true im still safe i hope.

You are not safe, IMO. You won't know if you are safe or not until the motor goes bad. You are taking a big chance by not using it. No filter is going to stop EVERYTHING. :cry: I use white lithium grease around the base of the filter. It works well and cleans off a lot easier than the marine grease that I use for the bearings. :cry:

I found several large pieces of dirt that made their way past the base of the filter but got caught in the grease, so I would say it has done its job. :cry:

This question will get lots of opinions.

Most use a little grease for extra protection,but many people don't use any and feel that the filter oil used,if it's also soaked on the seals edge is enough.

Some filter cages don't put much pressure on the sealing edge so i always used grease,

until i installed a 'Pro Seal'

http://pcracingusa.com/proseal.php

It puts much more pressure on the soft sealing surface.

Air is always gonna take the path of least resistance so i dout the seal would fail.

I spent the money on the proseal. Grease is a PIA. Get a proseal and be done with it. They cost around 15 bucks! :cry:

Pro-Seal. :cry: Grease is obsolete.

I agree,the pro seal was inexpensive and the fact that I don't have to deal with the grease makes it worth every cent.This is the first bike I've use it on,but it will be on every future bike.