03 KLX 300 need shift kit?

Was the shifting problem resoved by 03 or does it still need the upgrade?

Thanks in advance . . .

Jimmy

Don't know, but you should. If you hit a lot of neutrals going from first to second gear, you need the shift star mod. I heard the shift star, ACR mod and kickstart gear were all improved on later models. Bill???

Hi there,

Just my personal experience ....

I have an '05 model and the shift star needed to be modded so I would say they haven't fixed the problem. Even with the shift star it still is far from perfect ....

I have the Four Stroke Works shift kit......fantastic improvement!!!!

I believe they did change the shift star at some point recently (last couple of years), but it sounds like it's still not optimum. Go to planetklx.com and there are easy "how to" descriptions that will take you through doing your own.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Apose
      Hello TT, I am currently going to replace the rear shock on my 2003 KLX125L (same thing as a DRZ125L with green plastics) and i would like to know if the KX100 shock bolts right in direct fit on the STOCK swing arm? i have searched around and haven't got a straight forward answer to my question for the stock swinrgarm and i know about the dr_drz thread for his DRZ but he's also using a KX swing arm. Just wanted to know if it's a direct fit besides removing upper chain roller or if there's any machining need done. Thank you.
    • By h204meplz
      Hi, I am looking to get my first dirt bike, female 5' 2" 125lbs.. I have experience riding quads, and a little experience just playing around on pit bikes and kids bikes.. Checking out the CRF 125, KLX 140, and TTR 125.. They all seem like a good place to start, especially being short and new to the sport. I think ill pick up riding pretty quick but want a bike thats gonna be a good starting point, not to big/tall/heavy, yet reliable and fun.. Ive looked at the CRF and KLX so far, I like the idea of a little extra power with the klx.. but like the kick start option of the CRF and in general kinda like Hondas.. Another friend recommended the TTR so just want opinions/comparisons and input from anyone willing, thanks so much! 
    • By bhcolvin
      I have a 1999 KLX300R which I bought this past April (2017). I only ever ride it on the weekends for no more than an hour (time constraints). Since I bough it, it has always ran hot. The oversized aftermarket pipe it has constantly heats and burns my leg, just from those hour rides. I've dropped it twice and both times the coolant boiled afterward, but it doesn't boil when I just riding it normally. Just this past weekend (late July), I went riding with some friends and put some hard hours on it. As I was coming in for a break I pulled in the clutch and the engine immediately stopped and locked up. I got off and tried to kick it over but it wouldn't budge. I let it cool down then rolled it back and forth in 6th gear to free it up. It starts and runs smoothly now, but there sounds and feels like there is something rattling around in the top of the cylinder.

What should I do? Can and should I try to swap another engine into it? What could the problem be? broken piston ring? broken valve/shim?
    • By bhcolvin
      I have a 1999 KLX300R which I bought this past April (2017). I only ever ride it on the weekends for no more than an hour (time constraints). Since I bough it, it has always ran hot. The oversized aftermarket pipe it has constantly heats and burns my leg, just from those hour rides. I've dropped it twice and both times the coolant boiled afterward, but it doesn't boil when I just riding it normally. Just this past weekend (late July), I went riding with some friends and put some hard hours on it. As I was coming in for a break I pulled in the clutch and the engine immediately stopped and locked up. I got off and tried to kick it over but it wouldn't budge. I let it cool down then rolled it back and forth in 6th gear to free it up. It starts and runs smoothly now, but there sounds and feels like there is something rattling around in the top of the cylinder.

What should I do? Can and should I try to swap another engine into it? What could the problem be? broken piston ring? broken valve/shim?