'05 YZ450F-what do you guys think about it?

You"ll love it. And yes, ditch the chain. Has tractor like power and better suspension. I geared mine lower because the tracks I ride are on the smaller side. This is the first 450 I"ve had. Just came off a 250f which was also a very nice bike. I ride open class and needed a little more torque when the gate drops. Have fun !!!

So far it is a great bike, alot better than my 03. the only thing I did notice is that it seems to be a little lean so check the jetting when you get her! the chain is wimpy and that front tire does not work around my neck of the woods. Other than that it is awsome!!!!!!!!!! ? :cry: ? :cry: ?

Do the reccomended break in from the handbook. Its about 2 hours work and that includes cooling time.

My 250 handbbook says

Start it up and check controls then stop it

Start it up and let it run for no more then 5 minutes

Operate the machine in low gears with moderate throttle for 5-8 minutes

Check how the machine operates 1/4 to 1/2 throttle for about 1 hour at low to medium speed (make sure air is moving over the engine).

Restart the engine and check the operation throughout the entire reve range. Restart the engine and operate it for 10-15 minutes.

The machine is now ready for races.

Do the reccomended break in from the handbook. Its about 2 hours work and that includes cooling time.

My 250 handbbook says

Start it up and check controls then stop it

Start it up and let it run for no more then 5 minutes

Operate the machine in low gears with moderate throttle for 5-8 minutes

Check how the machine operates 1/4 to 1/2 throttle for about 1 hour at low to medium speed (make sure air is moving over the engine).

Restart the engine and check the operation throughout the entire reve range. Restart the engine and operate it for 10-15 minutes.

The machine is now ready for races.

WRONG! YOU HAVE TO BREAK IT IN HARD, but you have to cool it down every 10 mins of riding. FORGET what the manual says.

WHAT DO YOU MEAN?

WARM IT UP

RIP ON IT

LET IT COOL

AND DO THIS IN LIKE 20 MIN RIDE 10 MIN COOL DOWN? IM CONFUSED AND I DON'T WANT TO BREAK IT. HOW LONG SHOULD I DO THIS FOR?

Yes, yes, yes.

Check everything is OK, oil and coolant levels, warm it up on idle, never rev it cold, it is not a 2-stroke. When warm, run for 10 mins, cool down for 10-15 mins. Do it 6 times and change oil and filter.

Let the engine rev up and use all powerband, do not reach rev limiter. Allow engine braking with all gears, accelerate, decelerate, play with it hard. Don't run it too hot.

Replace the stock chain, it is junk.

Also, before race, put in some decent thick tubes (and tires) It is ready for race. There are plenty of posts about this, do the search "break-in".

IM CONFUSED AND I DON'T WANT TO BREAK IT.

You are not going to break it. The piston rings need to be broken in with the cylinder correctly, and this is the way. If there is something wrong with the machining tolerances, the bike will seize anyway how you break it in. With today's advanced production techniques you should not worry about tolerances. They say the engines are already pre-run hard in production lines. Do not baby it.

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

• 2 weeks later...

todays the day!!!! in about two hours actually!! is there anything else i have to do to make this thing ripe the head off of all the hondas out there? is it alright to run it hard right after break-in and to do like 75 foot triples?

Hey Ryan,

how did it go? Pls report.