whip tip!

Heres a tip:

When you're going up to the face of the jump, and you want to whip it out to the left (for example) what you do is go off the lip angled to the left and turn the opposite way going off the lip. alot of whip guides that ive read always talk about carving on the lip, this is true but the never go through the details. i just find it easier my way

Let me add this (not whip related):

Notice how "light" he appears on the bike. There's a lot of slomo and it's very easy to see that much of his speed is because he's so relaxed and loose. He tosses the bike into the corners/lays it down and just rolls thru w/ it.

90% of the time....the people who can do whips HAVE NO IDEA how to explain it.....

I'm still searching for that rider who can help me do a basic whip....then I can die happy....

The last time my bike was at an angle at the face of the jump, I ended up being thrown about 20 feet off my bike and a consussion. I have no memory of that day.

The last time my bike was at an angle at the face of the jump, I ended up being thrown about 20 feet off my bike and a consussion. I have no memory of that day.

That's my biggest fear! Practicing the whip is one of those things where you just don't have any room for error. If you don't get it right, you get the big smackdown. Those occasions when my rear kicks out accidentally is scary enough. :cry:

Just start small over a 6" high hump 'o dirt - I did.

You basically through it just as it looks. The only tip I can give you is to sit farther forward on the bike.

i tried :cry: lol

You see what I mean? :cry: :cry:

You basically through it just as it looks. The only tip I can give you is to sit farther forward on the bike.

The way garry and this site explained it really made sence to me and I'm practicing it. Basically just lean the bike off to the side of the jump already. Then in air you'll want to push down on one end of the bars quickly and pulls in the other (that wormy feeling) and lean over the opposing side the bike whips out. If the bike is rotating towards the right, then get your right foot off the peg. Then to land, do opposite of what you have done. The push/pull technique is how the SX'rs do airs in the middle of thier tricks.

You see what I mean? :cry: :cry:

Just start by turning the bars over smaller jumps. Just little quick snaps. To the left or right. Also it sort of skateboardy in the way that the way you do it the first time is your regular direction and the other is sort of switch for you. IE I whip to the right alot better than the left. Once you get that begin to lean in the same direction you turn the bars. Almost sort of turn the bars and push them down in the direction your turning them. This is where the sitting forward helps. Once you hit the sweet spot of the whip, turn the bars back straight and sort of push the bike forward. Move your head in the direction you want to go. Once you get this down over small tabletops and little doubles you can do it over bigger jumps just do everything slower. Once you get good at that do everything faster over big jumps but do it before you leave the lip and now your scrubbin. I know it sounds stupid but go get a toy dirtbike and do these tips with it. You'll be surprised. Like I said before though its just one fluid motion. Once you get it you'll see what I mean. Its really not that hard once you do it a couple times.

The biggest thing that has helped me get started on the whip is being comfortable turning the bars in the air. Once your comfortable with the movement of the bike after you get this down is to start to lean the bike off the jump face. The bike won't really do much if the bars are not used. Coming up to the jump face if you lean left, the rear end will tend to swing to the right. It won't actually do this on its own without the bars. I'm no expert so I turn the bars after I leave the jump.

Ok your leaning the bike over to the left which will cause the rear to swing out to the right. As soon as you leave that jump face leaned, turn them bars quickly to the way you are leaning. This forces the rear end to start to swing out. You can stop the whip from happening if you turn the bars quickly to the right. The longer or harder you pull those bars to the left will determine the degree of the whip. Try small movements until you get comfortable with what you are doing. Don't force it. If you force it without doing the proper techniques that initiate control then you get hurt. When your body learns this small baby whip you will begin to sense how far you can whip it and bring it back fluidly without thought. I'm still stuck here. I haven't learned how much input is needed to bring it back, so I stay with the small whips.

So I think I basically explained in a bit more detail what the original post was saying. Leaning is the key to starting it. 1 step at a time is the way to go.

The biggest thing that has helped me get started on the whip is being comfortable turning the bars in the air. Once your comfortable with the movement of the bike after you get this down is to start to lean the bike off the jump face. The bike won't really do much if the bars are not used.

Sorry... and I'm not a pro @ whips yet, but you do not need to turn the bars. I refer you once again to the linked Bubba vid. Watch as he heads up the ramp (you can pause it too) and into the air; very little if any bar movement.

Refer all you want...proof is in the pictures :cry:

pic 1

pic 2

pic 3

In the video from Fox if you watch closely he initiates that whip with his ass. His rear hits the back fender. I wouldn't suggest this to any one practicing whips.

pic 1

pic 2

pic 3

In the video from Fox if you watch closely he initiates that whip with his ass. His rear hits the back fender. I wouldn't suggest this to any one practicing whips.

Ok yami35 you win! icon_rolleyes.gif

my advice.. learn to seatbounce well first (which is easy), then start pulling small whips from a seatbounce position by turning into the face of the jump, but as you lift into the air and approach the apex of your jump you should also be transitioning smoothly from seated to standing. this will automatically pull the rear end back in-line AND drop the front end for landing. it's not the only way, or even the coolest way to do a whip, but it's the easiest way i've found to learn and is a safe way to get a feel for how the bike moves during a whip.

it's also important to find the right jump to start your learning. a jump you have unlimited access to so you can hit it over and over and over until you can jump it with your eyes closed and always hit your landing. then you will have the confidence to start improvising in the air.

pic 1

pic 2

pic 3

Ok yami35 you win! icon_rolleyes.gif

:cry: Woohoo...whats my prize?

:cry:

whats my prize?

I got jer prize right here...

if i end up in plaster after this thread, its all my fault. thanks for the great input. i do have a relavent question, i feel good about initiating the move, its just that i feel like i hang and have trouble bringing it back. any hints?? other than my spelling sucks.. :cry:

lean off the side of the bike on the lip when whipping. dont let off the gas to, cause when doing this it sucks our suspension up so you might not clear the jump (bubba scrubbing)